Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > A funny thing happened at the LHB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Even the directions for the Best Brewer kits say 4-6 days primary, then bottle and start to 'enjoy' in 5-7 days !!

Wait, I checked online and they have updated:

BOTTLE CONDITION
Move the bottles to a dark, warm, temperature-stable area (approx. 64º - 72ºF). Over the next two weeks the bottles will naturally carbonate. Carbonation times vary depending on the temperature and beer style, so be patient if it takes a week or so longer.

But, before that it suggests that your primary fermentation will be done in 4-6 days. So again 4-6 for primary and then up to two weeks for carbonation - 3 weeks total.

I suppose if you dump all the sugar they give you in you'll have carbonation in 3 days if your bottles don't explode because your beer isn't hardly done with it's primary fermentation. It probably takes us guys who primary for 21 days more time to bottle carbonate just because our initial yeast/ml is lower than something 7-10 out of the primary.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Last edited by Netflyer; 11-16-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: New info...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #22
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I agree, as long as it is explained the second time around that aging is a good thing and will produce a better (less fusally at the very least) beer.

How long does it take you to drink 2 cases ? (They don't last more than a few days around here! Especially around football season..)

Kegged:

Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

PET - Bottles are good for N00bs. If they goof it up they won't be opening glass hand grenades.

My schedule 2-3 weeks in the primary, 2-4 weeks in the 2ndary. Depending on the OG its either kegged or goes to a bottle. I generally bottle high OG beers since they are better for long term storage IMO. Even when I keg I think the CO2 is harsh (has a carbonic bite) for the first several days after its carbed right. A week or two later its perfect.

In the event I'm making a hefe, I will skip the 2ndary and keg right away. From experience, I like my beer clean and clear so most of the time I 2ndary.

As others have said if you keep brewing, fill the pipeline, you can easily wait for 6 to 9 weeks for great beer. Until the pipeline is full buy micros.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 11-16-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #24
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well gentlemen, the Brwon Ale was so good keg is empty now!!! Got to work on getting supply up on that!!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #25
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Until the pipeline is full buy micros.
Yep, that's what I've been doing. And since I'm buying these microbrews, I'm also getting more and more bottles saved up that I need to bottle my next brews!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #26
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
How long does it take you to drink 2 cases ? (They don't last more than a few days around here! Especially around football season..)
lets see ~52 beers? heres my rate chart:

4-8 per each day that included work
6-12 per each day that doesn't include work
12+ per each holiday

in short. i can kill a keg in 10 days by myself no problem. for any day that ends in Y, beer shall be consumed!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #27
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So many variables, but you can make a great drinkable beer in two weeks. Generally I use 3 weeks to 4 weeks KEGGING.
Most beers I make finish primary fermentation in the first 4-5 days. Nothing like a healthy starter to just git er done.
I leave them in the primary for around 3 more days to clean up, then rack to secondary and let it sit for another week, then move to crash chill for another week, rack to keg, carb, and sit in the pipeline.
Some grains do take a while to show their flavour, lately I have noticed honey malt really comes out more pronounced after two months.
I usually take the last gallon or so and fill up a couple of two litre soda bottles. I throw these into a closet and pull them out to bring to parties, etc.
Other ingredients such as honey, will extend your primary time by weeks.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #28
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah man!

Kegged:

Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 AM   #29
zanemoseley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you KEG an APA, wheat or other light beer can be consumed in 2-3 weeks from brewing with decent results. Bottling is another situation entirely, I only bottled 2 batches before kegging but remember waiting 3-4 weeks just for carbonation, plus the fact you're jump starting the yeasties with the sugar which IMO adds to the "green" taste. Two weeks from brewing to consuming will really discourage a newbie extract/bottling brewer.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #30
Tmeister
Recipes 

we all have our different ways of brewing, but idk why u leave beer in the primary for three weeks. Do u not have a secondary? because dead yeast have the potential to off-flavor your beer. The primary is the primary. if your into ageing then use a secondary or a keg.

Quick Reply