Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > A funny thing happened at the LHB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default A funny thing happened at the LHB

Has anyone else had the experience that their local HB guys either tell them or you over hear them tell someone else, 'Yeah, this beer will be done in two weeks - just put it in the primary for a week, check the gravity, when it is done it is done, keg or bottle and you will be consuming right away'... I'm paraphrasing of course but the idea should convey, they want to make you think beer does not need to age like the wine they also sell. The guy in front of me was buying a brewer's best Nut Brown ale and the LHB guy was telling him he could be drinking it in about 3 weeks. 3 weeks! Mine would be just coming out of the primary in 3 weeks going for at least another 2-3 weeks in bottles before drinking.

I suppose they do this to sell kits but I believe that ultimately telling people the truth about proper brewing techniques will actually sell more beer.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
gallagherman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depending on a lot of factors, one could ferment for 10 days and then bottle for 10 days. Maybe the full carbonation wouldn't be reached, but they would be drinking it. I usually do two weeks in the primary and then two weeks in the bottles before I start drinking. But like I said that depends on a lot of factors. If the guy was buying a RIS kit it may be a different story.

Next: Dead Guy Clone, Weißbier

Fermenting: The Riley

Kegged: Dry Stout, RyePA

My Blog! www.beerunion.net

Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Netflyer I am fairly new at brewing. But I can tell you my last AG batch of Nut Brown, hit the FG in about a week and a half. I used a starter on it, I have no idea if this had any affect on it. I will have to try doing it without and see. I tranfered it to secondary to free up my carboy. I cold crashed it for about 4 days an put it in the keg, force carb, and was drinking it that night. It taste great and looks great! I have had several people tell me how good it is. Do I think letting it age a while would help it? Who knows, I am happy with the way it is now.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Those kits are designed to be OK in a few weeks. On the other hand, one local did a RIS is a week - boil to kegger.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Netflyer I am fairly new at brewing. But I can tell you my last AG batch of Nut Brown, hit the FG in about a week and a half. I used a starter on it, I have no idea if this had any affect on it. I will have to try doing it without and see. I tranfered it to secondary to free up my carboy. I cold crashed it for about 4 days an put it in the keg, force carb, and was drinking it that night. It taste great and looks great! I have had several people tell me how good it is. Do I think letting it age a while would help it? Who knows, I am happy with the way it is now.
You force carbed it which knocks 3 weeks off the time it takes. I'm assuming the gent buying the kit at the LHBS did not having kegging capabilities as it's not normally a newbie thing to have.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
staffVAJoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I find the difference between a good beer and a great beer has a LOT to do with patience

Old 11-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default I agree entirely

I think, as you said, the difference between a good brew and a great brew is patience... couldn't have said it better.

Now this is not to say you can't enjoy 'green' beer. I'm sure we all do :-)

If you wait 3 weeks in the primary and then 3 weeks in the bottles and then 3 days in the fridge you could have the clearest, best brew you ever tasted

Btw, that Nut Brown kit falls in around 1.054 OG...

Kegged:

Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Does kegging (I'm a bottler) knock of the 'bottle conditioning' too? I mean I can see how you can carb in a few days but the whole idea of conditioning is for the various aspects of the brew to blend and settle...

Kegged:

Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I just brewed a bitter last Sunday and expect to be drinking it on Wednesday - 10 days. Used WY1968 which ferments completely and drops clear after 48 hours - about 3 days for diacetyl/acetaldehyde uptake and then carbonation. Even if I were to bottle, it would only be about 14 days.

This is, of course, a special case, but if the beer's good, drink it. Breweries/brew pubs routinely pump out beer in short order.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
Does kegging (I'm a bottler) knock of the 'bottle conditioning' too? I mean I can see how you can carb in a few days but the whole idea of conditioning is for the various aspects of the brew to blend and settle...
Quite right. Bottle or a keg is the same thing when it comes to conditioning. If a beer is good green it will be great conditioned with some obvious exceptions. Some wheats and wits still taste better conditioned but to each their own.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Quick Reply