Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
bmantzey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Funny taste

Every brew that I've ever done has always had this funny taste to it that I've never tasted in any other beer. I notice that this flavor is more prominent when I decide to try a bottle a little earlier than I should. So, I'm guessing that this strange flavor is actually the priming sugar. The flavor is an odd, sweet taste.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong when adding the priming sugar to my bottling bucket.

For example, the lager I'm fermenting now, will call for 3/4 cup of corn sugar for the priming sugar. My recipe doesn't mention the ratio of sugar to water to use when boiling the sugar before adding it to the beer. Am I adding too much sugar or not enough water?

Also, I am doing the logical thing by adding the beer to the priming sugar rather than vice versa. Anyone have any tips as to how to adequately mix the priming sugar to the beer, before bottling? I've had very successful brews that had random bottles that would literally erupt after opening them, leaving nothing but foam all over the place and in the bottle by the time it stops erupting. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something fundamentally wrong with the priming sugar, which could be causing the above symptoms.

If anyone could offer any advice regarding this odd, sweet taste I'm getting in my brew, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are so, so many variables you are dealing with and you didn't really give nearly enough information about what the beers are, what processes you are using, the timelines and time frames you are talking about. OG/FG of beers...

Without the OG/FG of some of the beers I don't think anyone can do anything but give you random responses - (or ask for more info.)

Old 03-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
cervezarara
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There's a good bottle priming calculator here:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
Use the temperature at which your beer fermented- there is dissolved CO2 in the beer before priming, and the volume depends on fermentation temp.

For bottle priming, I dissolve the weight of sugar indicated into a pint of water and boil for a few minutes. I cool this a bit and add to the bottling bucket. Then I rack the beer onto it, trying to swirl the beer so it mixes with the sugar. After it is racked, I stir gently (at this point you want to avoid oxygen) to mix. Then proceed to bottling!

That taste should disappear with proper conditioning. Three weeks at ~70F is recommended all across this board, but YMMV.

Cheers.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

if you think the funny taste is bottling sugar, then taste the beer before you add the bottling sugar to determine if the taste is coming from the sugar. you just need to wait longer if sugar is the problem. bottling sugar makes the beer taste like apple cider.

if the funny taste is yeast that is still in suspension, your beer will be cloudy at bottling time and there will be a lot of yeast settled in the bottom of each bottle. if this is the case, slowly and steadily pour the beer into a glass, and stop when the yeast begins to pour out (the last half ounce of beer, or so). to fix this problem, let the beer stay in the fermenter for an extra week or two so that the yeast settles more.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2099 Times on 1838 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

It sounds to me like the beer wasn't quite done fermenting yet. What you're tasting is un-fermented wort. That will also cause bottle bombs when primed. also let the yeast have time to clean up after themselves.
I also don't know how in the world some guys on here are brewing 3-4 batches per month? they word their posts like they have on fermenter. Even with a secondary to rack to,that just seems like inadequate primary time to me. Just had to get that out.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
bmantzey
Recipes 

My recipe says, "allow to ferment 5-7 days or until fermentation slows and then bottle..." Well, after about a week, the fermentation had slowed, so I figured it was right. I have been experimenting with longer fermentation times. Right now I've got a barley wine on deck in it's secondary. I'm going to give it one more phase of fermentation and another week (3rd week). During this third phase, I'll dry hop. Would you suggest I give it a 4th phase and dry hop then? By "phase", I mean I'm transferring it to another bucket/carboy. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Well there you go - anytime a recipe gives you a timeframe for fermentation, ignore it! Yeast works on its own timeline, not yours, and not your recipe's! 5-7 days can be enough time for primary fermentation to complete, but it's rarely enough time to allow the yeast to clean up their waste products - a very common cause of off-flavors.

If you don't already have one, get yourself a hydrometer and a hydrometer testing jar and learn to use them! In general, after a week (though 2-3 can allow more time for clean-up), start testing samples. Once you've had 3 days in a row at a steady hydrometer reading, you're good to transfer to secondary or bottle, depending on what your recipe calls for.

Also - I've never done a barleywine before, but I think that'd need a lot more than 3 weeks before bottling! Lastly, your wording there sounds as if you're transfering the beer every week - there's no need to do this, and you're in fact increasing your risk of oxidation and/or infection!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
BKmyWAY
Recipes 

Another possibility would be that you have crystallized some of your wort during the boil. These crystallized sugars are very hard for the yeast to ferment. What type of kettle and burner do you use?

A wise man knows that he knows not.....

Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
bmantzey
Recipes 

@BKmyWAY

Hmm. I'm using a cheap turkey fryer burner. This actually had me concerned about another thing. My beer usually comes out darker than it should. I've got a lager on deck now too that was very light in color when it came out of the mash tun, but after it boiled, it was quite a bit darker. I was wondering if I was boiling too hard, which could have scorched the wort and given it a darker tone. Boiling down to 5 from 8 gallons takes quite a while. How long should this take? Should I just let it go at a very slow boil and be patient? Thanks again.

@stratslinger

I was planning on transferring it every week, but if you advise against it, I won't. I only transferred this once now and I felt it necessary because of the amount of junk in the bottom of it. I think I'll give the lager another week before putting it into a secondary.

I'll be honest, I'm a little bit leary about testing the gravity too often. I was planning on testing it when I transferred it only, for the exact reason I specified. I don't want to take the risk of infection. Having to sanitize my wine thief/hydrometer is fine, but I worry that it's not sanitized well enough.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
bja
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantzey View Post
I'll be honest, I'm a little bit leary about testing the gravity too often. I was planning on testing it when I transferred it only, for the exact reason I specified. I don't want to take the risk of infection. Having to sanitize my wine thief/hydrometer is fine, but I worry that it's not sanitized well enough.
If you don't want to check the gravity, then let it in the primary for at least 4 weeks, then bottle it.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Quick Reply