Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny story of unexpected mess from brewing!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
ezatnova
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Hmmm.........I'd be betting that the previous tennents used a lot of candles or were smokers, not neccessarily of cigarettes! The sugars in the wort are non-volatile. You might get a little in the kitchen from spray from the pot, but not into another room. Maybe some oils, but there isn't much oils in malts, even less in extracts. The condensation was just dissolving the crud already on the walls. If you were to carefully blot a spot, nut rub it, I bet the area where the spot was is lighter than the surronding area.

I've used spic and span before to mop the walls and ceiling of a place we rented. My wife used to smoke. It really is amazing (and totally disgusting) how much crap builds up on the walls. I had a neighbor once who burnt a lot of candles and she had an ozone generator on a table. I was helping her do something and we pulled the table from the wall and you could really see how the ozone generator attracted a LOT of soot to the spot on the wall right behind it. I thought it was pretty cool since I didn't ahve to clean it

All walls were painted by us when we moved in and nothing has ever been smoked in the house...and no candles. This was definitely brown sticky residue all over the walls facing exterior portions of the house, condensing the steam from the brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I have to agree that it was not wort on the walls. The sugar does not leave the wort the only thing that is driven off is water.

I do maple syrup and if the sugar would be in the steam then the maple shed (tool shed) would be one hell of a sticky mess.I have to boil off 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup. Try this next time put a lid on the wort for a few minutes letting some condensation build, then remove the lid and set it upside down so the condensation pools. Taste it ... bet its tastes like distilled water ...... because that’s what it is

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Reason: spelling

Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #13
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
SWMBO is not very fond of me brewing inside. She hates the smell, she hates the mess...there is nothing she likes about it. So, just the other day we noticed above the stairs to the basement, which are just outside the kitchen, there was brown drops on the wall. She was like what the *^#@ could have spilled up there. I knew right away when I saw it what it was...but i was not about to say anything.

HAHAHAHA This is something that I would do

Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
All walls were painted by us when we moved in and nothing has ever been smoked in the house...and no candles. This was definitely brown sticky residue all over the walls facing exterior portions of the house, condensing the steam from the brew.
Think about how you distill liquid. The lighter water vapor evaporates and the heavier water/sugar (wort) stays behind. Unless your kitchen stove is absolutely blasting heat (enough to evaporate sugar and water at the same time) this is just normal condensation and not wort escaping the pot.

You should look into other causes of moisture in your home as well, it could be a mold or something.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon View Post
+1

I designed and built my range hood. I saw that it was $250+ just for the unit so I took $100 and bought some powerful duct fans and some nice oak.

I thought it was quiet, which it is....from the kitchen. If you go into the dining room it sounds like there is a corvette in the attic, but who cares? I only run it when I need it, and man, it SUCKS!
I've already warned SWMBO: The "vent fan" on the microwave over the range is a tiny little POS. I really really want to swap it out for a exterior-vented hood that will suck your hair up on end. We're already getting goop on the ceiling above the range, and the house is less than a year old.

And I brew outside.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #16
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After I started doing boils I began developing brown droplets of condensation all around my kitchen too. When I saw them the whole kitchen got washed and it still happens. I didn't get brown liquid droplets when making chicken stock though. Haven't been curious enough to taste them though.

Quick Reply