funny: home brew shop in SLC with 'missionary discount'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmpolesov

Reaction score
Didn't seem like this would belong in the 'chit-chat' forum because it is at least somewhat brewing related.

A home brew shop in salt lake city, Utah, has a discount program for missionaries. In this context missionaries are mormons, usually but not always aged 18-20 (there are older folks too) who volunteer 2 years time for the church.

I suspect this is tongue-in-cheek, although I have heard second-hand it is not unheard of for Mormons to drink beer. I have just never personally seen a Mormon touch an alcoholic beverage of any kind.

The Beer Nut, Inc's Missionary Discount

Are there any Mormons here who are also home brewers and care to chime in?

I have a friend who's a mormon and a beer snob and did the mission thing a couple years. I had another friend in college who drank as much as typical college student. I don't know if they are exceptions to the rule tho.

I thought perhaps the context here for missionary was perhaps as a homebrew missionary as opposed to something attached to a real religion.

The few mormons I have known also did not drink

Maybe it's a Missionary position discount.

I actually used to smoke a certain herb that's legal in California for medicinal use with a working Mormon missionary.

Mormons who smoke and drink are called "Jack Mormons". Who really follows every part of their religion, anyway? Not many.

"why should you always bring at least two mormons with you?"

Because one may be a jack mormon and you need a designated driver.

That's my LHBS! It works be converting friends to homebrewing. When they pick up a starter kit, and reference your name, you get 20% off your next brew.

In my experience (I live in Utah...so it's extensive) mormon's don't drink unless they were raised in a culture that does (i.e. German Mormons...they exist), in which case they drink for flavor and appreciation rather than drunkedness.

ah, so it is 'missionary of beer brewing' not 'mormon missionary' that they are referring to.

I lived in Utah for a couple years. I assumed SLC plus the word 'missionary' == mormon.

Silly me. I had this mental image of mormon missionaries hiding carboys in their apartments, surreptitiously whispering names to the guy at the counter at the shop to get discounts, etc.

Back