*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funky after taste.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Brewin_the_goods
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Funky after taste.

I brewed a SNPA clone on the 11th of October, bottled it on the 3rd of November and here it is 7 weeks after that and it still has this funky fruity aftertaste. The beer has really cleared up, the head retention is good and if I let it sit for a good 5-10 min after I pour it, the taste kind of subsides but is still present.

I've put a 6'er aside for consumption at a later date to see if time will help. I used a powder yeast and the kit was as a partial mash from Midwest. The last beer I used a powder yeast was in my Lemon Corriandor Wheat and it had the same funk to it. My other brews I used White Labs Liquid yeast and my beers were just awesome.

What the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluewagons View Post
homebrew is for sharing. A$$hole brothers are for punching. See if you can cleverly combine the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salanis View Post
And Jesus too. He loved wine. Total party guy. Rolls into a party, "What, all you have is water?!? Wine, bitches!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

what was your fermentation temp?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Brewin_the_goods
Recipes 

+- 70*
but the last three days it sat in a room that got down into the low 60's and that's also where it sat in the bottles for the first week and a half.

Quote:
homebrew is for sharing. A$$hole brothers are for punching. See if you can cleverly combine the two.
Quote:
And Jesus too. He loved wine. Total party guy. Rolls into a party, "What, all you have is water?!? Wine, bitches!"

Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

well there is your problem. the wart should not get above 68F. keep in mind that the wart will be warmer than the room it's in. best to either get a stick on thermometer or figure out a way to get a temp reading from inside the fermenter without contaminating it.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Brewin_the_goods
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
well there is your problem. the wart should not get above 68F. keep in mind that the wart will be warmer than the room it's in. best to either get a stick on thermometer or figure out a way to get a temp reading from inside the fermenter without contaminating it.
Hmmm. I brewed a IIPA and an Irish Stout and they sat in those temps (and a little higher) and tasted beautiful. They both got a secondary treatment though.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Brewin_the_goods; 12-23-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

the stout is a dark beer and can hide more off flavors. my guess about the IIPA is the bitterness and hope taste/aroma covered the taste.

Quick Reply