Full bodied and crisp - is it possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I am still learning about beer characteristics and want to become better at judging and describing beers. I have some terms in my head that need clarification from you, the experts!

Can a full bodied beer still be crisp?
Are crisp and thin the same thing?
What is it that makes a beer crisp?
Is crisp a flavor or a mouthfeel?

I ask these because although my last few beers have been fantastic, they seem a little "flat". Not in the carbonation realm, but in the flavor.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

I am no authority but I tend to register fulll bodied as a bit heavier and a crisp beer as lighter in feel.
I guess basically saying that a maltier beer will be fuller bodied as opposed to a crisp beer which will be less malty but a cleaner taste.

This does not mean it uses any more or less maltings in the brewing but a combination of things can play into the end result such as yeast, ferm temp, mash temp, boil time etc. There are so many variables it becomes a matter of balancing them all to get one that borders on cris yet has a full bodied feel to it.'

Don't know if that made any sense because I have no idea how to explain it clearly.

I was thinking along those lines as well, until I thought of beers like some Lagers - very malty (generally) but still crisp. Some pilsners too - malty and crisp?

I am still learning about beer characteristics and want to become better at judging and describing beers. I have some terms in my head that need clarification from you, the experts!

Can a full bodied beer still be crisp?
Are crisp and thin the same thing?
What is it that makes a beer crisp?
Is crisp a flavor or a mouthfeel?

I ask these because although my last few beers have been fantastic, they seem a little "flat". Not in the carbonation realm, but in the flavor.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

1.) yes
2.) no
3.) the finish IMO
4.) I think of it as a mouthfeel

I think of "dry" and "crisp" as pretty much the same thing. You can accentuate it by increasing your sulfate level to 200-300 ppm.

Yes, you can have a full-bodied beer that is also crisp.

Carbonation and bitterness have a lot to do with it...an appropriate level of bitterness cleanses the palate after a sip so the flavors don't linger. And the effervescence from the carbonation can have a similar effect. Residual sweetness can have the opposite effect, usually the more dry, the more crisp.

Full bodied but crisp, to me, is the hallmark of the trappist style beers. The belgians call this "digestible".

Full rich, malt/yeast forward flavor, deep complexity and then... GONE. crisp finish, dry, well carbonated, well attenuated and appropriately bittered.

I love full bodied beers that are crisp. Oh so good.

"crisp" IMO has a lot to do with balance, especially in the finish as Denny suggests. You can balance a fuller body in several ways that still leaves a "crisp" impression. Tartness/acidity, higher carbonation, and astringency all tend to lend to a drier, crisper finish IMO.

A Vienna Lager should be "crisp" but not light-bodied.

Full bodied but crisp, to me, is the hallmark of the trappist style beers. The belgians call this "digestible".

Full rich, malt/yeast forward flavor, deep complexity and then... GONE. crisp finish, dry, well carbonated, well attenuated and appropriately bittered.

I love full bodied beers that are crisp. Oh so good.

Are there any commercially available beers that come to mind?

Back