The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Frustration sets in!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 02:13 AM   #1
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Frustration sets in!

Two brews in a row two brews at 1.020. The first one, IHA was made with WLP028. The second an ESB was fermented with WLP002. These are the first two brews I've used White Labs yeast and I'm wondering if this is the problem.
As described in a previous post, I put a couple drops of the WLP002 in the hydrometer flask. It fermented out to 1.015 in about 4 days so I know the fermentables are there. The ESB has been in the primary for 8 days at 68 degrees and today when racked to secondary I got 1.020. I'm hoping it is still fermenting but the beer is so clear there can't be much yeast left in it. The other problem I've got is the secondary is in the basement which is only 62 degrees. Will 002 still ferment at this temperature? Maybe I need to make larger starters for these brews.

Do I need to RDWHAHB or is there something I should be doing?

Cheers,
Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2006, 03:28 AM   #2
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

WPL002 is classified as very highly flocculant according to the white labs site. Also the Optimum Ferm. Temp is 65-68. I think its a good bet that the yeast is just flocculenting (is that a word?) out. At the very least you may want to stir up the yeast to try to see if you can get it going again. You may want to get it into warmer temps too. If you racked and there is no yeast left in it you may be hosed though.... if you want it to go lower you may have to pitch more yeast to get it lower.

SECONDARY#1: Air
SECONDARY#2: Air
On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build

Old 04-19-2006, 04:46 AM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Might want to check your mash temps? Are you mashing too high? Is your thermometer off?

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply