The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > fruit flies in starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
Frodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnionKnight View Post
Do you guys think my chances of being free from infection are good or should I start over ?
I personally would RDWHAHB, but that's a decision a man has to make for himself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
TheCrackpot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have the same problem now. I made a 1968 ESB starter yesterday morning. Later last night, I was transferring a beer that I brewed last Sunday that had spewed foam out of the airlock for two days and the bucket was covered in rotten beer and fruit flies. LSS, I went to give my starter a stir and I saw one of the bastards doing the back stroke. After one pints worth of deliberation, I have decided that I am going to go ahead and pitch the yeast this evening. I am brewing a 1.055 ESB using $16 worth of grain and a few ounces of EKG's that I bought a pound of at cost ($.75 and ounce). So, my reasoning is that a beer this small doesn't need to sit around for more than a couple weeks in the fermenter and once bottled I will drink it fairly quickly. I'm guessing it will be fine. If it goes bad, I'm only out a little over $20 and a few hours of time. Either way, it will be interesting to see just how sensitive starters are to "outside influences". I'll report back a couple months from now and let you know what happened.

Primary: Bohemian Pilsner, Simcoe Double Sunshine
Bottled: Galaxy Burst IPA, Pliny the Elder, Enjoy By Clone, Mosaic Double Sunshine, Double Sunshine, Holy Moley IPA, Abner, Mole Stout,
Heady Topper, HopSlam!, Grateful Dead Guy, Amarillo Ale,

Old 10-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

This is why I dont understand why most people say to loosly put foil on a starter:fruitflys. wtf ? I think I would at least rubberband a coffee filter or cheescloth over it,in fact I think I did do that with my only 1 starter I ever did.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
This is why I dont understand why most people say to loosly put foil on a starter:fruitflys. wtf ? I think I would at least rubberband a coffee filter or cheescloth over it,in fact I think I did do that with my only 1 starter I ever did.
Good point. I think that most people who talk about yeast starters assume that you (like they) have their yeast starters in a fermentation chamber, which is free of flies. That assumption isn't good enough obviously!

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I would dump a starter that got fruit flies in it. Not worth risking the whole batch, IMO.

I use aluminum foil on my starters and never had a problem with fruit flies getting in there. Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but it seems like they would really have to work at it to get in there...

Quote:
I made a 1968 ESB starter yesterday morning. Later last night, I was transferring a beer that I brewed last Sunday that had spewed foam out of the airlock for two days and the bucket was covered in rotten beer and fruit flies.
OK a couple of questions:

1. Do you put an airlock on your starter? Maybe I am mireading this sentence.

2. Why aren't you cleaning up the mess? If I have foam or beer coming out of my fermenter in an uncontrolled fashion, the first thing I do is clean up the mess, because I don't want to attract unwanted pests to the place there are likely to do the most damage. Also, I don't want to piss off my SWMBO, but that's another story. For some beers, that means I might clean it up two or three times during fermentation, although I have found fermcap-s helps quite a bit in this regard for most beers.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
TheCrackpot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

1. Foil on the starter. The airlock was on the foamy fermenter that the fruit flies flocked to.

2. I was cleaning up the foam: in the morning, at lunch, after work, and throughout the evening for two and a half days. It just didn't stop. It was like a soft serve ice cream machine. I've never had it happen that much before. I should have had a blow off tube ready but alas, hind sight...

Anyway, when the foaming stopped on the third day, I transferred the beer to a secondary so I could thoroughly clean the bucket. To do this, I had the bucket in the kitchen on the table where the starter was sitting. The fruit flies that had gathered around the foam covered lid found their way into the starter.

I've since started using the coffee filter/rubber band idea. I think its a winner. Especially during times of the year like now, when the last of our tomato harvests are sitting around attracting flies.

I've had no problems with the ESB (Extra Special Bugbeer) so far. I'll bottle it next week & see what happens. I'm still thinking it will be fine but we'll see.

Bottled: Galaxy Burst IPA, Pliny the Elder, Enjoy By Clone, Mosaic Double Sunshine, Double Sunshine, Holy Moley IPA, Abner, Mole Stout,

Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 3

While I would hate flies in my beer, do you ever wonder how they managed to make beer back in the middle ages? One thing for sure they did not have any sanitizer, probably didnt even wash their hands after taking a leak,or worse. But they still made beer.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow. Foam in the flask or a coffee filter over it is a good idea.
This is why many recommend you keep some dry yeast on hand. It comes in handy for emergencies. Cheap, no starter needed, and available in a pinch. I keep at least 2 packs in the fridge at all times.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
TheCrackpot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My Extra Special Buggy has been bottled for a month. It tastes great. I can't perceive any ill effects from the fruit fly in the starter.

I may have gotten lucky, but my advice to someone with a similar problem would be to not panic, decant the fly, use the yeast, and try to drink the beer as fast as possible just in case.

I guess if I was brewing for a competition, I'd probably be more cautious.

Also, I've started using the coffee filter idea and I've stocked up on Fermcap-S to avoid the massive foam problems. I've been pretty impressed with it so far.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #20
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
It tastes great. I can't perceive any ill effects from the fruit fly in the starter.
Next time, just dip your finger tips in some sanitizer and pick the bugger(s) out.

If it's an infestation, then dump it, but just a couple fruit flies, pick them out. Your beer will be fine.

Quick Reply