*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fruit Flies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
tndave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fruit Flies

I was going to keg a batch of my Spring Ale this morning and there was 4 or 5 dead fruit flies in the air lock. It was filled with vodka and I didn't notice them until I dumped the vodka into the mason jar that I store it in (I reuse it)...ruining the vodka that was already in there. Anyway when I opened the ale pail it had an odd smell to me, my wife said it smelled ok to her though. So instead of kegging it I racked it into a carboy. I didn't see any fruit flies in the beer, so I guess they squeezed thru those tiny holes in the top of the three piece air lock. I have it chilling in the keg now.

Has anybody else seen something like this before?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1759

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it'--Ronald Reagan

'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.'--Ronald Reagan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have had them get into the air lock before. The liquid catches them and they have never been a problem.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's ruined. Horribly. You probably wouldn't even want to taint your drain with it. Send it my way and I'll dispose of it properly for you though.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Hmmm...I would not drink that vodka. Otherwise, you should be OK. Never happened to me but fruit flies are clever little guys.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always keep a fruit fly trap sitting around my brew room. Take a bowl of water, mix in sugar and fruit juice, add a drop of soap to break the surface tension. Works like a charm and they seem to prefer it to trying to get into my meads since it's out in the open...and all their buddies are floating around in it...

Old 05-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I hate fruit flies... Set up traps as mentioned. The brew will be fine though, the vodka likely killed any bacteria on the fruit flies.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had about 20 gallons start their descent towards vinegar last year from those bastards. It happens.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
tndave
Recipes 

Ok, thanks. I figured it was ok, but just needed some reassurance. Can’t help but freak a little. My sinuses/allergies are bad right now so my sniffer isn’t up to par at the moment. I had a wit sitting right next to it and there don’t appear to be any in that air lock. The spring ale was brewed on 4/24 and the wit on 5/6. So I guess we had more fruit flies in between those dates than now, or maybe they just like the SA better…

It’s amazing those little dudes can squeeze thru those tiny holes in the air lock top. They look too big when they're bloated with cheap vodka lol

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve
Benjamin Franklin, 1759

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it'--Ronald Reagan

'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.'--Ronald Reagan

Old 05-19-2009, 02:56 AM   #9
tndave
Recipes 

BTW, SWIMBO uses a little coffee cup and puts some apple cider vinegar in it with a drop or two of dish detergent and that works great for the kitchen. Guess I'll start doing the same around my fermenters.

Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 AM   #10
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I asked the same question about a month ago....

here's a pic of my captured critters in the air lock...

I was using star san, put out traps and switched to rum (no vodka in the house) btw they didn't like the rum....

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???

Quick Reply