Frozen Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heatwaves

Reaction score
I recently bought a used mini-fridge to cold crash, but when I went to bottle the beer today it was frozen solid.

It's a strawberry-rhubarb saison that had already undergone 6 weeks of primary and secondary fermentation, so the beer definitely is finished. The recipe called for five days of tertiary fermentation which I decided to do in the mini-fridge to try to get the remaining tiny strawberry and rhubarb particles to settle out. The fridge was only on "medium" but the settings could be jacked up since this is the first time I've used it.

I think the beer will be okay, but will I have to re-pitch to get it to carb in the bottle? My guess is that I probably would, but I wanted to hear from people who may have had experience with this.

Cheers.

I am surprised that a mini-fridge could possibly freeze anything except small things in the freezer part if yours has one!

I would imagine all the yeast has been killed and that you will need to pitch some new yeast for bottle carbonating.

I was very surprised myself! And I only had it set for "medium" for five days. Looks like I have to buy a thermostat for it.

Back