*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Friends don't let friends brew drunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
BrettMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Friends don't let friends brew drunk!

Ok - so I decided to go ahead and brew up some beer last night after having a few drinks. By the time the boil was over, I was getting a little sloppy and had a few mishaps. First, as I was cooling the wort, I accidentally broke my floating thermometer IN the wort. Basically it got dropped in from a foot or two and the tip busted on the bottom of the brewpot. Only the glass broke at the tip - the red bulb was still intact and the metal weight was all intact. I went ahead and kept chugging along figuring that by the time I rack to the primary, then the secondary, then the bottling bucket, then to the bottles, then leave sediment in the bottom of the bottles, there won't be any glass left. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Next - the tip of my racking cane fell off as I was pulling it out of the primary - so it's still in there and will be until I rack it into the secondary next week. Is that going to cause off flavors?

Lastly, I tried to use a blow-off tube (1" ID, 1 1/4" OD) rather than an airlock becuase I only have one and it's on my secondary right now. When I tried sticking the tube in the carboy before starting, it was pretty snug. However, once the tube was cleaned and had been soaking in an Iotopher bath for a while, it slipped right in and wasn't that snug anymore. Still tight, but probably not airtight. Since I was drunk by this time I didn't really care and left it. Any problem with a not-so-airtight seal?

I think it'll all be fine, but thought I'd check with more experienced brewers...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I made beastII on saturday after a few (read a lot) beers. To cut a long story short, when I pushed in the airlock I pushed the grommet into the beer and ended up using silicon sealant (bathroom style stuff) and now the airlock is at 45 degrees and has a one inch clump of silica sealing it in. It is most def airtight though - i made sure of that!

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 01-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It'll probably be the best brew you've ever made.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettMan
First, as I was cooling the wort, I accidentally broke my floating thermometer IN the wort. Basically it got dropped in from a foot or two and the tip busted on the bottom of the brewpot. Only the glass broke at the tip - the red bulb was still intact and the metal weight was all intact. I went ahead and kept chugging along figuring that by the time I rack to the primary, then the secondary, then the bottling bucket, then to the bottles, then leave sediment in the bottom of the bottles, there won't be any glass left. Is that a reasonable assumption?
Personally, there is no way I would risk drinking a beer with even the slightest chance of have shattered glass in it. That's a dealbreaker for me, no pun intended. I say dump it.
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
Personally, there is no way I would risk drinking a beer with even the slightest chance of have shattered glass in it. That's a dealbreaker for me, no pun intended. I say dump it.
I missed that bit about the broken glass. (monday morning and still on third coffee).

I would dump it. Not worth it. Put it down to experience. Or filter it properly. I would just dump it but I really hate broken glass

Primary
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled

Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
fiddup_is_a_middup

Recipes 

Sacrifice the few beers at the bottom of the primary and you should be fine, but next time, don't break glass in your beer!

Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Old 01-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Broken glass would make me worry about every sip ,but I don't know that I'd dump it. I'd probably leave a good couple of inches at the bottom when you move it to the secondary

Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Broken glass would make me worry about every sip ,but I don't know that I'd dump it. I'd probably leave a good couple of inches at the bottom when you move it to the secondary
Ohh err, Mrs Grimsdale...
titter titter....

Primary
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled

Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
BrettMan

Recipes 

Default update

So, I just got over my hangover and cleaned out the brewpot. I found glass and some of those little pellets that weigh down the thermometer at the bottom. It had to be most of the glass since it was just a tiny bit to begin with. I'm actually not concerned about the glass since it sinks and I'll be sure to leave a couple inches when I rack it to the secondary. I'm more concerned with the plastic tip in there and now I'm wondering what those little pellets are made of - lead perhaps? Anyone know?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Probably lead, but there isn't likely to be enough to worry about. The physical amount of metal and the exposure times would mean almost nothing got into the wort.

I'd go with using a mesh bag on the racking cane.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply