Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Friendly Commercial Brewers vs. Not-So-Friendly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
nasty_rabbit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
If after a month they don't give me any response, I'll poo poo their name on the internet and really restrict my purchasing of their beer.
That'll shut them down

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #22
wittmania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwbrennan
Regardless of what else it is, it is great marketing. There are ample indicators that a poor beer with good marketing will out sell a good beer with poor marketing.
Exactly. There are a zillion IPA and Pale Ale recipes out there. You think the brewery that makes the "best" one is the one that will make the most money? Doubtful. Instead, it is the BRAND at will win out in any market. Odell makes some decent beer, but I'm less likely to buy it now. Do I feel entitled? Not really. Are they entitled to my beer money? Nope.

My point is that it costs them more in the long run to treat home brewers like "competitors" and that's bad business. Of course they can do that if they want, and I can share my experience and opinion on HBT if I want. And if my post makes people less likely to be loyal drinkers of Odell and more likely to drink Blvd beer, then the way they treat their home brewer customers is actually hurting their bottom line, not helping it.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmacro View Post
You still sound incredibly entitled.

They can do what they want with their own product; they don't owe you anything and they don't need to kiss your ass when they say "no" - a simple "obvious reasons" is fine - trade secrets, duh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmer9 View Post
Sorry, used to work in retail, and self entitled customers are the most annoying thing in the world.
From an outside observation, I can see why you no longer work in retail. Expecting a prompt, courteous response is not being self entitled. It's called customer service. What ever happened to, "The customer is always right?" A business that can say no to a customer request and leave them feeling like they did you a favor is one that will succeed.

But I agree. Boycotting a business because they don't have a person with that talent responding to your emails is silly.
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
2BeerSpeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've had several brewers give me full recipes and really expected them to laugh at me when I asked so I completely understand if they decline...I've been asked for my bbq sauce recipe that I sell and have to respectfully decline as it is easier to copy than a beer.

Keg #1 --- Barrel Aged Burnt Whiskers
Keg #2 --- WAGZ IIPA
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider
Keg #4 --- Barrel Aged Burnt Whiskers- Nitro
Keg #5 --- Highland Brewing Co. Cold Mtn. Winter Ale .....1/6th barrel
Keg #6 --- DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus .....1/6th barrel

Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yeah, I wouldnt hate on a brewery for not giving you the information you requested. They told you the main ingredients. Why did you not just invite them over for a brew session and have'em brew it up for you. I'm gonna email Gordon Ramsey for a recipe on beef wellington.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #26
ajlee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmania

Are they entitled to my beer money? Nope.
Yes, that's the beauty of a free market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmania
My point is that it costs them more in the long run to treat home brewers like "competitors" and that's bad business.
Not likely. I think home brewers make up a small percentage of the overall beer drinking population, and the percentage of home brewers who would let something like this influence their buying is even less. It's their recipe, they are not obligated to give it to you because you like it. From a response time issue they are not in the business of helping people brew their beer, so I'm ok if those emails go to the bottom of the pile, or are not answered at all.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 674 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Coke's been guarding their recipe for over 100 years. KFC's "11 herbs and spices" are also a trade secret (although I'm pretty sure one of them is "salt"). I don't think it's at all unreasonable for a brewery to guard its recipes. After all, if they gave it to you, you'd probably be able to brew something very close, and would stop buying their beer. Worse, you'd probably share it with others, resulting in others buying less beer, too.

Now of course, in the grand scheme of things, the loss of a couple cases of beer every few months wouldn't even show up on their radar. But if they shared their recipe with EVERY brewer who asked (not just you), it would eventually add up, wouldn't it?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #28
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Coke's been guarding their recipe for over 100 years. KFC's "11 herbs and spices" are also a trade secret (although I'm pretty sure one of them is "salt"). I don't think it's at all unreasonable for a brewery to guard its recipes. After all, if they gave it to you, you'd probably be able to brew something very close, and would stop buying their beer. Worse, you'd probably share it with others, resulting in others buying less beer, too.

Now of course, in the grand scheme of things, the loss of a couple cases of beer every few months wouldn't even show up on their radar. But if they shared their recipe with EVERY brewer who asked (not just you), it would eventually add up, wouldn't it?
Vinnie freely shares the Pliny the Elder recipe with anyone who asks. The PDF he created for the recipe can be found all over the internet. Pliny continues to sell out as soon as it's stocked on shelves.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #29
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have met both Doug Odell and Adam Avery. Both of them are really nice guys, or at least they seemed that way to me. Odell is quite a bit more old-school than Avery. He is a jeans and tee shirt guy, he isn't as smooth of a talker as Avery, and if you look at his brewery, the bulk of their sales are American interpretations of English ales, rather than envelope pushing big beers. It might be that the brewery's attitude towards sharing recipes is just part of their old-school style. He came up in a different era of home brewing. Yes, you really should try to reply to phone calls and e-mails as soon as possible. But I think you just deal with a slightly different culture at Odell, and you might want to take it easy on them.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 674 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
Vinnie freely shares the Pliny the Elder recipe with anyone who asks. The PDF he created for the recipe can be found all over the internet. Pliny continues to sell out as soon as it's stocked on shelves.
Right, but Coke and KFC are massive, wildly successful, global corporations, whereas Russian River is a tiny, local microbrewery.

I'm not saying there's a concrete link between secrecy and success, but there is certainly empirical evidence to suggest that may be the case. The longstanding big guys guard their recipes, while the upstarts share in an attempt to build recognition.

This applies to other industries, too. Linux source code is freely available, while Windows is not. Yet Microsoft is obviously massively more successful than RedHat. OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office. GIMP vs. Photoshop. Openly sharing information may be a nice gesture, and appreciated by niche afictionados, but it seems to be counter-productive to achieving mass-market success.

Quick Reply