Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Friendly Commercial Brewers vs. Not-So-Friendly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 922 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Speaking of friendly CO breweries better than Odells...

http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes-for-homebrewers/?verified=true
Outstanding!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #12
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My two cents...

I don't have any problem sharing my recipes, homebrewed or pro-am, with anyone. I am happy to. But I don't ever expect a commercial brewery to open up the kimono and share the details of their recipes with me. They have in the past, and I've also been ignored. That doesn't diminish my respect for the brewery.

We're talking about their livelihoods there, and with more than 2000 breweries in the United States alone and somewhere around 1300 in the planning stages, competition for shelf space and tap handles is going to increase massively. If I, as a hypothetical pro brewer, come up with some unique ingredient combination or process to distinguish my beer from others in the marketplace, and we're literally talking about the survival and growth of the business that I have invested everything in and that my employees depend on being successful for their continued employment, I would never divulge the details of that process. I also think it is a lot more educational for homebrewers to try their hand at cloning the beer first without having access to the actual recipe, and see how close you can get.

The difference between having the actual recipe and flying blind is obvious. Look at the Can You Brew It show. When they don't have the recipe, they virtually never succeed in cloning a beer. When they do have it, they are successful on the first try more often than not, and usually always on the second attempt.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #13
2BeerSpeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappers_ View Post
outstanding!
+1

Keg #1 --- Barrel Aged Burnt Whiskers
Keg #2 --- WAGZ IIPA
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider
Keg #4 --- Barrel Aged Burnt Whiskers- Nitro
Keg #5 --- Highland Brewing Co. Cold Mtn. Winter Ale .....1/6th barrel
Keg #6 --- DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus .....1/6th barrel

Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #14
2BeerSpeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/Wc78804389f400.htm

Stone is Cool too
all the epic ale recipe's are here

Keg #1 --- Barrel Aged Burnt Whiskers
Keg #2 --- WAGZ IIPA
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider
Keg #4 --- Barrel Aged Burnt Whiskers- Nitro
Keg #5 --- Highland Brewing Co. Cold Mtn. Winter Ale .....1/6th barrel
Keg #6 --- DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus .....1/6th barrel

johnny5000 Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
Seedly
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

And suddenly, I want to buy some Avery or Stone.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #16
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmania View Post
Nope. Not my point at all. The guys at Blvd were friendly and approachable, so I'll buy their beer because I feel more good will toward them.

The guys at Odell were unresponsive and then not at all interested in helping me to make something similar to their beer. As we all know, there are hundreds of variables that go into any beer, so it's not like I would have made the exact beer anyway.

All I know is that they could have been cool about it and I would have been thrilled to be a loyal customer of theirs. Instead, they were not at all interested in helping me out as a member of the brewing community and that makes me feel like it will be a long time before I buy any of their products.
You still sound incredibly entitled.

They can do what they want with their own product; they don't owe you anything and they don't need to kiss your ass when they say "no" - a simple "obvious reasons" is fine - trade secrets, duh.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #17
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2544 Times on 1495 Posts
Likes Given: 5722

We've had this discussion before with the Founder's thread, so I won't I won't try to convince anyone one way or another. But my personal opinion is that I can see both sides of the coin for a brewery giving away their recipe for a certain beer. On the one hand, they need to protect their interests. They don't know you from Adam, so if they give away their recipe to a supposed "homebrewer" they could actually be giving their recipe away to a competing brewery. OTOH, if they're a half way decent brewery, they already lay claim to doing it first so anyone who comes along with the same beer just seems like an imitator. The trouble comes when the competing brewery is able to improve upon the recipe.

The short version is if I were a craft brewery, I wouldn't give away my recipes. If my beer became really popular and got instant credibility based on the fact that my brewery brewed it, then I would probably start giving my recipes to homebrewers because I'm already established as the brewer of those beers.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
brett1341
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA

Vinnie from Russian River sends out his Pliny recipe to anyone who asks, and I've not had a homebrewed version that tastes like the commercial.
Younger or elder? If you have either I'd love to get it.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I never heard of Avery until I saw a recipe posted here somewhere. That was so impressive we asked a couple of people living in the Boulder area if they had heard of the brewery, thereby passing the name forward from people who can't get their beer to people who can. Regardless of what else it is, it is great marketing. There are ample indicators that a poor beer with good marketing will out sell a good beer with poor marketing. That's what puts the big trucks on the road and sports on television. I would think home brewers will continue to brew with or without Avery's recipes while small commercial brewers with talent and a future will be able to sell comparable brew without outsourcing inspiration. It appears the folks at Avery trust their talent, their passion and their creativity to always be able to make better beer than yet another me-too beer corporation.

Writing to companies and asking questions is one way to know if they have a marketing plan built for a great product or a product built for a great marketing plan.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Frankly, I wouldn't read too much into either response. It could be the guy at Odell just doesn't check his e-mail that often; it could be he isn't particularly articulate; or it could be he's just a bit of a jerk. Sure, it would have been nice if he had couched his answer in nicer language, such as, "Regrettably it is our policy not to share specific details on our recipes, but we appreciate your interest in our beer." But the fact he failed to do so doesn't strike me as a reason to turn me against the brewery.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Quick Reply