Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Signed up. FWIW, there is a free General Chemistry class if anyone needs to learn or refresh their basic chemistry knowledge. Given the fact that the Chemistry of Beer class is a 4000 level class, it will jump right in and assume that you have a working knowledge of chemistry.

Anyone know if there is any grading or confirmation that you have completed (and passed?) the coarse? Would be a good notch on the continued professional development belt

Thanks for posting. I've looked for something like this from some of the other online course sites with no luck. I signed up and am looking forward to the class.

thisisbeer said:
I think the General Chemistry class is already underway. It wont let me click on it.
I had no problem getting into it today.

I was also able to get into the chem class, now its time to play catch up.

So I have never even taken a chemistry class.....do you think I would be wasting my time with this course? I would love to take IF there is some practical application and it will make me a better brewer.

If you've never had formal chemistry/organic chemistry classes then some of the concepts may leave you confused (I'm basing this on what they said were 'requirements' and how high the course number is.) That said, it doesn't hurt (or cost anything) to at least start it. If you get lost you can just drop it and move on, but perhaps it will have enough material at a level to be beneficial. I hope so - my chemistry & ochem is very rusty since I haven't done anything with it for almost 25 years :drunk:

Just signed up. I really hope stands up to a true 400 level course. I hate watered down beer.

Now 400 level today may not be what it were 35 years ago...when I studied chemistry at the UvA in Amsterdam.

I signed up. Hopefully I can handle it but I'm excited to learn something new nonetheless.

I signed up too!

Once the class starts, maybe those who have signed up should start another thread to share thoughts and help out with assignments and such?

Should be a very interesting time! :ban:

Great find, thank you for the link! I just signed up, assuming the chemistry might be a bit over my head but for free its worth trying.

Signed up for the Basic Chem for a review and also for the Brewing Chem. Can't wait for January!
Working to catch up on the basic chem but it's well done.

If you've never had formal chemistry/organic chemistry classes then some of the concepts may leave you confused (I'm basing this on what they said were 'requirements' and how high the course number is.) That said, it doesn't hurt (or cost anything) to at least start it. If you get lost you can just drop it and move on, but perhaps it will have enough material at a level to be beneficial. I hope so - my chemistry & ochem is very rusty since I haven't done anything with it for almost 25 years :drunk:

My last advanced chemistry class was in 1982, as were my advanced math classes. Hopefully, it all comes back to me! :D

Yooper said:
My last advanced chemistry class was in 1982, as were my advanced math classes. Hopefully, it all comes back to me! :D
Nice more help. I squeaked by at OU both Chem1 and 2...and said screw it no more Chemistry! It's the devils magic. That was 10 years ago so we'll see how this turns out. I'm going to try and find those old books. This is an upper level chem course so it worries me a bit.

I just signed up. Don't have a lot of Chemistry experience but looking very forward to learning and having discussions here. cheers!

Signed up, started the beginner chem and remembered why I avoided chem classes at all cost. (Thankfully my major in construction management seemed more focused on physics...) Oh well. For beer I am willing to suffer through these classes ;)

So I wonder if we are going to skew the stats on their online class participation with the hundreds of brewers signed up... lol!

Signed up. Any way to find out if there is a text book that goes with the course? It would be nice to have it before it starts. Of course I could see if I still have any of my chemistry books from the stone age.

They broke my clay tablets when I moved, so I hope I remember my classes!

Now I feel old! My last Advanced classes were in 1980-1981 with my Culinary Arts classes in 1985!

:ban:

A quick note. My significant other had O-Chem II with Morvant. Apparently he's very good illustrating concepts in O-Chem. Here's hoping it translates to this course.

My parents have been on my case about taking classes; somehow, I doubt they'll count this.

My parents have been on my case about taking classes; somehow, I doubt they'll count this.

Just tell them you have enrolled in CHEM4970 at the University of Oklahoma, and it is a Chem/Biochem coarse which focuses on the theory as applied to a practicle examples. they will be well impressed :D

signed up username: hophead636

edit: where you guys finding the basic chem class?

..they didn't have online courses 1,000 years ago when I was in college.
They didn't even have the interwebs when I went to college (the first time) ; just dial up 1200baud modems that you *might* get a response from... We wrote our code in cuneiform.
;)

Figured it out in basic chem, caching up and tryin to remember this stuff from school, sorta ringing a bell in away, guess it helped I was able to pay attention in the first period class with my herbal help lol now if the teacher would of said this will help down the road when you want to brew beer i would I prolly aced the dam class lol

Latest posts

Back