Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #101
Rango
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorvant View Post

The course does have a Organic Chemistry prerequisite. A fundamental understanding a chemistry and organic structure and reactivity will be very helpful. The course will be very focused on a few specific topics related to brewing. We will be including content on the basic Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry concept.

See you in class!
Thank you very much for posting - I am really looking forward to this course! Since it seems like many of us do not have the chemistry background suggested (or have taken the classes long ago), are there any specific topics, journal papers, or articles we could read to garner some relevant knowledge beforehand?

Thanks again!

"Give me a woman who truly loves beer and I will conquer the world." -Wilhelm II of Germany

"Good men drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #102
ejluttmann
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I signed up ... been a long while since I took chemistry in college, so I'll probably try the Organic Chemistry classes at Khan Academy as a refresher.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/organic-chemistry

BorealBrewer Likes This 
Old 11-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #103
zeptrey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Thank you very much for posting - I am really looking forward to this course! Since it seems like many of us do not have the chemistry background suggested (or have taken the classes long ago), are there any specific topics, journal papers, or articles we could read to garner some relevant knowledge beforehand?

Thanks again!
From the description of the course, and it being an upper level Organo Chem class, I am betting its going to be pretty rough. Especially for those of us who haven't taken a course in years or *cough* decades...or even at all. There was a Chem 1 class they offered on the same site for free, but don't know if you can get in that class now or not. This is the first offering like this for this course. So, we shall see. If all of the Chem nerds on here help out the Chem turds we should be fine. I am pretty pumped on the turn out this has received. Should be interesting. I have been trying to dig up my old Chem books and see if I can at least glance over it. Its inevitable the Chemistry will be over my head, but I'll give it the old college try.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #104
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorvant View Post
Saw the thread and thought I would join in.

I am teaching "Chemistry of Beer" at OU on Janux. I am glad there is some much interest in the course. Thank you.

The course does have a Organic Chemistry prerequisite. A fundamental understanding a chemistry and organic structure and reactivity will be very helpful. The course will be very focused on a few specific topics related to brewing. We will be including content on the basic Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry concept.

One of the major contributor to success in a course is a student motivation and interest level. I am sure that most of you have spent hours learning the brewing craft and may know a great deal about the chemistry than you realize. The course will be expanding and deepening this knowledge.

The course has been fun to create. It will be fun to take.

See you in class!
Welcome to the forum Dr. Morvant! And thanks for offering this course on such a huge platform. It will be very well and very widely received!

One thing that amazes me about homebrewers is the level of biochemical and microbiological knowledge that many of them have gained.

It's been 30 years since my O-Chem classes. I'm looking forward to yours...

Old 11-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #105
savannahbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Signed up! I am pretty excited about this. It is so cool that it's an open class and the knowledge will come without costing an arm and leg (like all other tuition)

Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #106
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 664 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I certainly don't want to say anything that contradicts the instructor as he's the one structuring the course but brewing is about biochemistry which builds, of course, on organic chemistry but only a small part of it. I think that if one understands the relationships between acids, aldehydes, ketones and alcohols and a few other bits at that level i.e. the beginning stuff he can probably handle or at least appreciate much of the biochemistry of brewing.

I'm speaking from my own experience. I wanted very much to understand some of the biochem of brewing and, in discussing this with a colleauge who had studied biochem, expressed the fear that I would never be able to understand any of it because all my chemistry had been a freshman level (inorganic) course in engine school. He said not to worry, I wouldn't need to know that much organic and gave me a biochem book (Lennigner) with a bookmark at the pages where fermentation was discussed. He was right.

Thus to those who are wondering how to prep, my suggestion would be to pick up a biochem book, look up EMP (Embden, Meyerhoff, Parnass) or glycolysis in the index or, easier still, look at the Wikipedia article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolysis

Don't expect to understand everything there after one, or even multiple, reading(s) but if you can get to the point where you can follow the argument you will probably be OK.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #107
mmorvant
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quite correct. There is a good deal of biochemistry. In fact, one of the biochemistry faculty members will be guest lecturing on the biochemistry content.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #108
hedbutter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm in as well, pmh076. Time to dust off some notebooks

It's not about finding the best beer, but finding the best in every beer.

Reason: Spelling

Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #109
MorrisBrewingCo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm in, seanrm42. Looks like it should be good with all the HBT crowd.

Keg 3: Strong West Coast IPA
Planning for the Spring:
Fermenter 1: Strong Scotch Ale
Fermenter 2: Empty
Fermenter 3: Empty

Old 11-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #110
geer537
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16