Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Free keggerator.... but can I lay it on it's side to transport it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Nickme23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Free keggerator.... but can I lay it on it's side to transport it?

My grandma has a keggerator that will fit a Sanke or 4 Cornies, regulator, tap, faucet, and what I think might be a 20# C02 tank. She wants it out of her basement so it's free. But is it going to be safe to transport it 1000 miles on it's side or do I need to buy and install a light kit for my suv and take a trailer to load it on. The secondary purpose is to go pick up my little brother and bring him back with me. So I'm going to get most of the gas paid for and a free keggerator plus he's offering to do half the driving.

So to re-cap. Is it safe to transport an old fridge on it's side for a thousand miles?

If not, then is it safe to transport it on a trailer with some cushion underneath to absorb some of the shock of bouncing, for a thousand miles....

Free keggerator, free gas to go get it, 2 days of driving and 2000 miles put on my suv.

My Wife - "Sleeping burns calories too..."

ChshreCat - "... Hell, fermcap is made of silicon. That's the same stuff that fake breasts are made from. Would you want THAT in your mouth? Oh wait...."

Planned: Northern Brown, Mild, Irish Red, Scottish 60 & 80 shilling, Vienna, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Schwartzbier
Primary: Air
On Draft: Mild, Northern Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
hoaxci5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm no expert but I was always under the impression that as long as you let it sit for 24 hours after being on it's side prior to plugging it in it was fine.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
goin2brew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say it is like and refrigerator.... you can lay it on its side to move it, but make sure it sits for 20 mins in the upright position before turning it on to let the coolant settle.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
I'm no expert but I was always under the impression that as long as you let it sit for 24 hours after being on it's side prior to plugging it in it was fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2brew View Post
I would say it is like and refrigerator.... you can lay it on its side to move it, but make sure it sits for 20 mins in the upright position before turning it on to let the coolant settle.
I've always heard variants of this from half an hour to a full day. If it is going that far though might as well play it safe and let it sit upright for a day or two before plugging it in. Better safe than sorry.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
Gtrman13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry, I don't really have any answers to your questions, but have one of my own.

Your grandma has a kegerator?! Sounds like a cool lady!

Uhhhm...

Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
BubbaK
Recipes 

Definitely leave it standing up for atleast a day or 2 before plugging it in. The oil needs a chance to settle back down into the compressor.

Kick The Can Brewery

Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Hannable1975
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Free Kegorator from Granny? Beats the heck out of the socks I used to get at Christmas... enjoy it !

Old 09-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

yep no worries, just sit it upright for a day before plugging it back in. Nice score. Cool granny.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

A couple of hours will generally be enough time for the oil to settle back into the compressor, but give it a day, just to make sure.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Granny must have upgraded to something that will hold more that 4 cornies, huh?

More to your question, I was looking at some Kegerators at BJ's wholesale club and noticed that they were all shipped on their sides on the pallet. I don't think they'd ship that way if it were a problem.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

"It is what it is." -Erich Fried

Quick Reply