New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Free 5 gallons of Bells Wort!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
wcarter1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Free 5 gallons of Bells Wort!!!

So I just found this on the bells website, too bad I dont live in Michigan... If I could get some time off I so would drive up there for this.

Originally posted on the bells website...

Bell's 25th Anniversary Homebrew Competition Guidelines

As part of our 25th Anniversary celebration weekend, we will be giving away free wort to homebrewers to be used in a homebrew competition judged by Bell's Brewery, Inc. The details of this competition are listed below and additional information will be given when wort is received. If there are any additional questions, feel free to email lsbell@bellsbeer.com.

1. Limit one five gallon carboy per person. Carboys should be clean, sanitized, and ready to receive wort.

2. There will be a time slot signup sheet available beginning at 11am in the foyer of the Eccentric Café. Time slots will be divided into 15 people every 15 minutes. Please sign up for your desired time slot to get your carboy filled and be present at least 5 minutes before your session starts.

3. The wort will be made with 100% Michigan Pale Ale malt that is minimally boiled and entirely unhopped. While this allows complete freedom from recipes and imaginations to run wild, it does mean that homebrewers will have to complete the kettle boil on their own systems.

4. There are no restrictions or style guidelines for the final beer, so long as it uses the base wort provided by Bell's Brewery, Inc.

5. While the posters are asking for 2 bottles, we have increased the entry to 4 12oz. bottles in order to have enough for the judging process. They must be in to Bell's by 9 pm Friday, October 29th with the entry form and properly labeled with the stickers provided by the brewery. Any late entries will not be considered. Entries may be dropped off at Bell's General Store.

6. Judging will take place on Saturday, October 30th, and winners will be announced at 3 pm on Sunday, November 7th during All Stouts Day at Bell's Eccentric Café. Contestants are not required to be present to win. Competition prizes will be announced when wort is picked up on Saturday, September 11th.

7. Beers will be judged based on a purely hedonic scale, not formal BJCP criteria.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sounds awesome, but wort pickup was a few weeks ago.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
jwatkins56550
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's awesome! Wish our local brewery would do something like this

"A beer, every beer, is made with love, and begs to be appreciated." -De Struise

Old 09-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I noticed that about the date, too. I was thinking that a month is pretty quick turnaround for some homebrewers, if they were giving out the wort this weekend.

I wonder if they would allow you to add something like dark malt extract and turn it into an RIS?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrain View Post

I wonder if they would allow you to add something like dark malt extract and turn it into an RIS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
4. There are no restrictions or style guidelines for the final beer, so long as it uses the base wort provided by Bell's Brewery, Inc.
My read is so long as you start with and use their wort you can do whatever you want with it.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

yeah there was a thread awhile back about wort pickup and ensuing clusterf*ck.

Quick Reply