The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Franziskaner dunkel....who's had this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Maveric777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Big fan here as well. I got the ingredients right now to try and make one myself. I'm crossing my fingers it comes out close....lol

On Deck - Imperial Stout, American Blond, Amber Mock Bock, "Cricket" #2

Primary - Dunkelweizen, Apfelwein

Bottled - Amber Wheat, Stout, Hefeweizen, Porter, Best Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My god, I was half drunk on the stuff and I forgot I even made this little post of worship! I didn't expect to see very many people respond, much less with affirmation.....

.....I would love to try all of your suggestions, but I can't seem to find any of those in my neck of the woods. Got a decent liquor store here but the only other dark wheat I've been able to find is, as I said, the Hacker-Schorr and it didn't stand up for me at all......

.....I have a Witbier, my first all-grain experiment, in the fermentor and it was inspired by my discovery of the Franziskaner, but I realize it will not be a similar beer.....I am exploring the world of wheat!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I much prefer the Franziskaner to the Erdiner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric777 View Post
Big fan here as well. I got the ingredients right now to try and make one myself. I'm crossing my fingers it comes out close....lol
is it a clone-recipe or just a similar dunkel style?.....maybe you could share it .....I'd love to try my hand at making a dunkel. At the very least, report back on it and good luck!

(BTW, I don't know if your avatar pick is you or not, but that guy looks exactly like one of my best friends from back home (juneau, AK)....it's just wierd to see Matt's face popping up all over the place on here! )

Last edited by snailsongs; 02-03-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
Maveric777
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
is it a clone-recipe or just a similar dunkel style?.....maybe you could share it .....I'd love to try my hand at making a dunkel. At the very least, report back on it and good luck!

(BTW, I don't know if your avatar pick is you or not, but that guy looks exactly like one of my best friends from back home (juneau, AK)....it's just wierd to see Matt's face popping up all over the place on here! )
I got it written down at home. I'll get it posted up as soon as I get home this afternoon.....

"Holly Crap" I have a twin?.... I can see the signs of fear in my wife's eyes with just the thought.....lol.....Yea, that's me at work. After over four years of dealing with medics and keeping ambulances in tip top shape it tends to twist the mind a bit. I do love my hat though!......
On Deck - Imperial Stout, American Blond, Amber Mock Bock, "Cricket" #2

Primary - Dunkelweizen, Apfelwein

Bottled - Amber Wheat, Stout, Hefeweizen, Porter, Best Bitter

Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

No love for the Ayinger Ur-Weisse? That's my favorite dunkelweizen.

And whoever said that about Vitus, you're right, just awesome.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 02-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post

not trying to brag here, but check my recipe for "death by dunkel". it's an all grain recipe, but it's my first "original" recipe, and i brew it all the time. it's my house beer. i always have to have it around to please the masses, and swmbo. everyone who tries it swears it's the best dunkel they've ever had. i've gone through i don't even know how many gallons of it. i generally have to brew it every month just to keep up with consumption. it's really easy, doesn't require any kind of lagering, and is the best dunkel i've ever had, other than the hofbrauhaus dunkel at the actual hofbrauhaus.

my bar build

Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawbrewing View Post
not trying to brag here, but check my recipe for "death by dunkel". it's an all grain recipe, but it's my first "original" recipe, and i brew it all the time. it's my house beer. i always have to have it around to please the masses, and swmbo. everyone who tries it swears it's the best dunkel they've ever had. i've gone through i don't even know how many gallons of it. i generally have to brew it every month just to keep up with consumption. it's really easy, doesn't require any kind of lagering, and is the best dunkel i've ever had, other than the hofbrauhaus dunkel at the actual hofbrauhaus.

I will certainly take a hard look at it, thanks Chainsaw brewing! Those kind of testimonials perk my ears up a bit.....and I will be making a dunkel very soon!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
svraines
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a heads up, but chainsawbrewing's recipe is for a Munich Dunkel-like beer, which is malty lager, not a dunkelweizen like Franziskaner, which is a malty wheat beer.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svraines View Post
Just a heads up, but chainsawbrewing's recipe is for a Munich Dunkel-like beer, which is malty lager, not a dunkelweizen like Franziskaner, which is a malty wheat beer.

yeah, what he said. thanks for the clarification. mine is similar to warsteiner dunkel.

my bar build

Quick Reply