The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Franziskaner dunkel....who's had this?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Maveric777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texarkana, Tx.
Posts: 348
Default

Big fan here as well. I got the ingredients right now to try and make one myself. I'm crossing my fingers it comes out close....lol

__________________
On Deck - Imperial Stout, American Blond, Amber Mock Bock, "Cricket" #2

Primary - Dunkelweizen, Apfelwein

Bottled - Amber Wheat, Stout, Hefeweizen, Porter, Best Bitter
Maveric777 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 690
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

My god, I was half drunk on the stuff and I forgot I even made this little post of worship! I didn't expect to see very many people respond, much less with affirmation.....

.....I would love to try all of your suggestions, but I can't seem to find any of those in my neck of the woods. Got a decent liquor store here but the only other dark wheat I've been able to find is, as I said, the Hacker-Schorr and it didn't stand up for me at all......

.....I have a Witbier, my first all-grain experiment, in the fermentor and it was inspired by my discovery of the Franziskaner, but I realize it will not be a similar beer.....I am exploring the world of wheat!

__________________
snailsongs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
Loweface
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Posts: 1,041
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I much prefer the Franziskaner to the Erdiner.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
In the process of buying a bar... One drink at a time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.
Loweface is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 690
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric777 View Post
Big fan here as well. I got the ingredients right now to try and make one myself. I'm crossing my fingers it comes out close....lol
is it a clone-recipe or just a similar dunkel style?.....maybe you could share it .....I'd love to try my hand at making a dunkel. At the very least, report back on it and good luck!

(BTW, I don't know if your avatar pick is you or not, but that guy looks exactly like one of my best friends from back home (juneau, AK)....it's just wierd to see Matt's face popping up all over the place on here! )
__________________

Last edited by snailsongs; 02-03-2009 at 11:45 AM.
snailsongs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
Maveric777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texarkana, Tx.
Posts: 348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
is it a clone-recipe or just a similar dunkel style?.....maybe you could share it .....I'd love to try my hand at making a dunkel. At the very least, report back on it and good luck!

(BTW, I don't know if your avatar pick is you or not, but that guy looks exactly like one of my best friends from back home (juneau, AK)....it's just wierd to see Matt's face popping up all over the place on here! )
I got it written down at home. I'll get it posted up as soon as I get home this afternoon.....

"Holly Crap" I have a twin?.... I can see the signs of fear in my wife's eyes with just the thought.....lol.....Yea, that's me at work. After over four years of dealing with medics and keeping ambulances in tip top shape it tends to twist the mind a bit. I do love my hat though!......
__________________
On Deck - Imperial Stout, American Blond, Amber Mock Bock, "Cricket" #2

Primary - Dunkelweizen, Apfelwein

Bottled - Amber Wheat, Stout, Hefeweizen, Porter, Best Bitter
Maveric777 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

No love for the Ayinger Ur-Weisse? That's my favorite dunkelweizen.

And whoever said that about Vitus, you're right, just awesome.

__________________

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

smizak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chainsawbrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 1,290
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
is it a clone-recipe or just a similar dunkel style?.....maybe you could share it .....I'd love to try my hand at making a dunkel. At the very least, report back on it and good luck!

(BTW, I don't know if your avatar pick is you or not, but that guy looks exactly like one of my best friends from back home (juneau, AK)....it's just wierd to see Matt's face popping up all over the place on here! )
not trying to brag here, but check my recipe for "death by dunkel". it's an all grain recipe, but it's my first "original" recipe, and i brew it all the time. it's my house beer. i always have to have it around to please the masses, and swmbo. everyone who tries it swears it's the best dunkel they've ever had. i've gone through i don't even know how many gallons of it. i generally have to brew it every month just to keep up with consumption. it's really easy, doesn't require any kind of lagering, and is the best dunkel i've ever had, other than the hofbrauhaus dunkel at the actual hofbrauhaus.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
I love you. No, seriously, I think I have a man-crush on you. Smooches. :p

my bar build
chainsawbrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 690
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawbrewing View Post
not trying to brag here, but check my recipe for "death by dunkel". it's an all grain recipe, but it's my first "original" recipe, and i brew it all the time. it's my house beer. i always have to have it around to please the masses, and swmbo. everyone who tries it swears it's the best dunkel they've ever had. i've gone through i don't even know how many gallons of it. i generally have to brew it every month just to keep up with consumption. it's really easy, doesn't require any kind of lagering, and is the best dunkel i've ever had, other than the hofbrauhaus dunkel at the actual hofbrauhaus.

I will certainly take a hard look at it, thanks Chainsaw brewing! Those kind of testimonials perk my ears up a bit.....and I will be making a dunkel very soon!
__________________
snailsongs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
svraines
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 63
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Just a heads up, but chainsawbrewing's recipe is for a Munich Dunkel-like beer, which is malty lager, not a dunkelweizen like Franziskaner, which is a malty wheat beer.

__________________
Fermenting: Traditional Bock, Belgian Dark Strong
Conditioning: Munich Dunkel, Belgian Amber
Drinking: Baltic Porter, O-fest, Drought Stout, English Summer Ale
svraines is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chainsawbrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 1,290
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svraines View Post
Just a heads up, but chainsawbrewing's recipe is for a Munich Dunkel-like beer, which is malty lager, not a dunkelweizen like Franziskaner, which is a malty wheat beer.

yeah, what he said. thanks for the clarification. mine is similar to warsteiner dunkel.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
I love you. No, seriously, I think I have a man-crush on you. Smooches. :p

my bar build
chainsawbrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Franziskaner Clone? Cheesefood Recipes/Ingredients 35 11-15-2013 12:20 AM
Franziskaner hefe weissen Dunkel DrDuckbutter Recipes/Ingredients 16 06-20-2012 01:55 AM
Franziskaner Dunkel Recipe thejackyl123 Recipes/Ingredients 6 07-04-2010 06:41 PM
Extract - Franziskaner Clone lucasszy Recipes/Ingredients 6 05-30-2008 12:54 AM
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel zoebisch01 Commercial Brew Discussion 0 02-01-2007 01:30 PM