The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fractional freezing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #61
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I looked into this when looking to do a high abv winter warmer cider. This wikipedia article on fractional freezing gives a lot of great info.

It seems that the line of "illegality" is drawn when fractional freezing attempts to create a beverage in the "liquer" range of ABV such as applejack. The reason presumably is that in creating a 40% beverage by fractional freezing, fusel alcohols are concentrated. For homebrewers only using this method to bump their ABV to 15-25%, there are no real concerns.

I'm still a little foggy on the science. It seems that some alcohol does get frozen, or rather suspended in the frozen water. That makes sense. If you freeze a beer, its not like the water freezes and the alcohol separates from the solid. Its probably not significant since homebrewers usually freeze one time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 02:13 AM   #62
RogerMcAllen
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I'm still a little foggy on the science. It seems that some alcohol does get frozen, or rather suspended in the frozen water. That makes sense. If you freeze a beer, its not like the water freezes and the alcohol separates from the solid. Its probably not significant since homebrewers usually freeze one time.
This is where stirring will help. Small crystals will be pure (or pretty close to pure) water crystals. Larger crystals will have voids and defects with EtOH inclusions.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #63
Brewster2256
Recipes 

Found this youtube video showing a rather easy way to separate out the ice.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #64
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Maybe add a packet of that turbo yeast stuff at bottling time???? They must do it somehow.
German beers are not bottle conditioned, they are krausened. Eis beers from, say, Brew Dog are probably force carbonated. So while you could bottle condition one, I doubt it is ever done commercially.

As for the OP, Utopias is not concentrated by freezing or in any other way.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #65
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1275 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 516

In discussing the super-beers made by BrewDog with a friend, I stumbled upon this:

http://www.ttb.gov/rulings/94-3.htm

Now I don't know if this is outdated or not, and I'm not sure if "0.5 percent" refers to 0.5% (ridiculously miniscule) or 50% (half). Either way, demonstrably legal to do this up to one of the two amounts. The former is pretty much useless, the latter I'd think a full fledged Eisbock is perfectly legal.

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Pale Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild (Infected) Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 05-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #66
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I'm drinking an "ice" irish red ale right now. It's a keg that I accidently froze when my keezer temp prob slipped out.

I let it thaw, but the beer permanently separated. The same thing happened to my dubbel. No amount of shaking will mix this beer back together. The first several glasses from the dubbel were basically imperial dubbel. It's the same with this red. It does not taste as good as it originally did, but this style isn't the best to ice. It's not bad, however. Really mother ****ing strong. I think bock is most suited for this process though.

If I were to make an ice beer, which I am probably going to do some time soon, I would freeze an eisbock in a 6 gallon better bottle with my metal siphon jammed down there. As it froze, I would look to see about how much had turned to ice. Once I had achieved the desired amount, I would pour some boiling water down my siphon to unfreeze the beer inside, and then start racking the beer out. It's not something that I know how to do precisely and accurately, but who really cares, you're making eisbock, the manliest of all beers!

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #67
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Umm is legal. Try looking up "freeze concentration". This topic gets brought up often. This is almost a Zombie rez...

Quick Reply