Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fractional freezing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think Eisbocks are better. Iced Barleywines (of which I have only had a handful) are good but need a lot of aging to overcome the hop presence. The sweetness of the dopplebock base works better in my opinion.

The best method I have heard of so far is to transfer into a corney and let it slowly freeze. Then you transfer out of the keg once the desired amount of ice forms around the sides of the keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There were two breweries at the Winter Fest that 'accidentally' froze a few kegs of :

A) and well dry hopped IPA About 21% from a 7.5%
B) a barley wine about 30-35%, their sign had skull and crossbones so they didn't realy know for sure

They were both EXCELLENT.

It a post-ferment method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Passive (freeze) distillation is not illegal.

I'm not currently set-up to lager, but I may plan an Eisbock for the winter.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

this is also refered to as "Fortifying" from what i have read, it is illegal in some states. Since the ice freezes before the rest, you can remove water content. Removing water from an alcoholic beverage is distilation, weither through heat, or ice.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
this is also refered to as "Fortifying" from what i have read, it is illegal in some states. Since the ice freezes before the rest, you can remove water content. Removing water from an alcoholic beverage is distilation, weither through heat, or ice.
Arkador - Sorry to burst you bubble, but Distillation is a method of separating mixtures based on differences in their volatilities in a boiling liquid mixture.

Neither alcohol nor water have anything to do with it. Any two compounds can be distilled off of each other.

Distillation - Wikipedia

Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Freeze your beer from http://www.fermentarium.com/content/view/124/58/
Another method to fortify beer is to freeze the beer, and then remove the ice. Technically this falls under “fortification” according to the laws in the United States, and thus is illegal. Other countries might have different laws regarding this (let us know in the comments if you know the laws for your country). We have not heard this rule enforced for a home brewer in the United States; however consider this your warning and our disclaimer. Freeze fortification works because water and alcohol have different freezing points (32 F 0 C and -178 F -117 C respectively). Your freezer is not cold enough to freeze alcohol.

The method of freeze fortification is very simple. Take your fermented wort and place it in a clean, sanitized bucket. Seal the bucket and place in a freezer overnight. Make sure there is room in the bucket for the ice to expand. Do not use glass, as this could have disastrous results if you do not leave enough space. The next morning, remove the block of ice. The remaining liquid is fortified ice beer.

The results of these methods may produce jet fuel initially, and may require extended aging. Just place them away after bottling, and try a bottle until the harsh notes of the alcohol mellow out. If you make a great one let us know, or better yet send us a bottle!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #17
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Any two compounds can be distilled off of each other.
AFAIK, not azeotropes. I actually distill at work but it's just for reclaiming solvents so I don't dig into it too much. We have 3 big stills for 3 different solvents...we have to use 20' tall Mol Seive Columns for two of those solvents because you can't get all the water out by just distilling.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0125.pdf

Quote:
125.02 Definitions. Except as otherwise provided, in this
chapter:...

(6) “Fermented malt beverages” means any beverage made by
the alcohol fermentation of an infusion in potable water of barley
malt and hops, with or without unmalted grains or decorticated
and degerminated grains or sugar containing 0.5% or more of
alcohol by volume.

(22) “Wine” means products obtained from the normal alcohol
fermentation of the juice or must of sound, ripe grapes, other
fruits or other agricultural products, imitation wine, compounds
sold as wine, vermouth, cider, perry, mead and sake, if such products
contain not less than 0.5 percent nor more than 21 percent of
alcohol by volume.

Quote:
(3) HOMEMADE WINE OR FERMENTED MALT BEVERAGES. The
manufacture of wine or fermented malt beverages of any alcoholic
content by any person at his or her home, farm or place of residence
if the wine or fermented malt beverages is to be consumed
by that person or his or her family and guests, and if the person
manufacturing the wine or fermented malt beverages receives no
compensation.
US CODE: Title 27,CHAPTER 8—FEDERAL ALCOHOL ADMINISTRATION ACT

Quote:
27 U.S.C. Chapter 8 §203

(b) It shall be unlawful, except pursuant to a basic permit issued under this subchapter by the Secretary of the Treasury—
(1) to engage in the business of distilling distilled spirits, producing wine, rectifying or blending distilled spirits or wine, or bottling, or warehousing and bottling, distilled spirits; or
(2) for any person so engaged to sell, offer or deliver for sale, contract to sell, or ship, in interstate or foreign commerce, directly or indirectly or through an affiliate, distilled spirits or wine so distilled, produced, rectified, blended, or bottled, or warehoused and bottled.
Quote:
27 U.S.C. Chapter 8 §211

(5) The term “distilled spirits” means ethyl alcohol, hydrated oxide of ethyl, spirits of wine, whiskey, rum, brandy, gin, and other distilled spirits, including all dilutions and mixtures thereof, for non-industrial use.

(6) The term “wine” means (1) wine as defined in section 610 and section 617 of the Revenue Act of 1918 as now in force or hereafter amended, and (2) other alcoholic beverages not so defined, but made in the manner of wine, including sparkling and carbonated wine, wine made from condensed grape must, wine made from other agricultural products than the juice of sound, ripe grapes, imitation wine, compounds sold as wine, vermouth, cider, perry and sake; in each instance only if containing not less than 7 per centum and not more than 24 per centum of alcohol by volume, and if for non-industrial use.

(7) The term “malt beverage” means a beverage made by the alcoholic fermentation of an infusion or decoction, or combination of both, in potable brewing water, or malted barley with hops, or their parts, or their products, and with or without other malted cereals, and with or without the addition of unmalted or prepared cereals, other carbohydrates or products prepared therefrom, and with or without the addition of carbon dioxide, and with or without other wholesome products suitable for human food consumption.
So the line is definitely cloudy... although it seems this would be legal for me or at least extremely gray in Wisconsin. Fractional freezing is not rectifying, and it is not distilling as defined, although it could be argued that it is a form of distillation...

Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 8 Posts

This video discusses the legality of this issue. It is legal at the federal level, but state laws may still vary.

Home Brewing Beer, Barleywine Ice Beer

Old 05-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Distilling is not clearly defined, but in my opinion, the intent of the law is clearly to inhibit to production of ethanol spirits, not fortified beer.

The laws vary state to state, but in WI we can produce any wine or malt beverage up to any alcohol content legally.

Also, I was not able to find the information on the supposed 200g limit...

I would really like to find the actual law behind all these legality issues as the more I read the more I believe we are continuing the stereotype and many activities thought to be illegal are not.

Quick Reply