Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fortune smiles on me again...sort of.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fortune smiles on me again...sort of.

Got home from the (Navy) reserves today. (Making up time 'cause I missed this past weekend.) SWIMBO informs me that my son's toilet overflowed while he was taking a shower. I checked it out and couldn't duplicate the problem. There are tons of wet towels and the floors are still damp. Checked on the beers to see how they faired. Thankfully they were safe. My precision HD garden thermometer showed 58F (18C in the Coopers primary). My son had been mentioning to my wife that he wanted to get a heater 'cause the basement was too cold. I didn't want to try and find the room for another length of baseboard. Enter Mr. Dehumidifier! Basement gets warm and dry. Son doesn't gripe as much 'cause the basement is warmer. This makes my wife happy (or gives her one less thing to un-happy about...). My brews get to be in a better fermenting temp zone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Huh?

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

An accident turned into a plus for me. Did I try and make it too short?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
Huh?
Hang on, I took a class in this.

I think that his son lives in the basement. There must be a bathroom down there, and the drain for that bathroom is almost entirely clogged up, so when his son took a shower, it backed up the drain until the toilet overflowed. He wasn't able to replicate the problem (probably because he didn't run the shower for an hour like the son did. He'll probably end up snaking the drain out after it happens a few more times. My guess is the plug is way, way down the drain, which is why it takes a long time for the water to back up all the way and overflow from the toilet).

His beer is also being fermented in the basement, which is why he was worried that the flooding might have affected them. But his beer didn't get flooded, which is good. Then his son was complaining the basement is cold, but there wasn't room another electric baseboard heater. So instead, he set a dehumidifier up down there, and now the basement is warmer and dryer.

Oh, and the flooding incident happened while he was away, which is where the Navy Reserves part comes in.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
Hang on, I took a class in this.

I think that his son lives in the basement. There must be a bathroom down there, and the drain for that bathroom is almost entirely clogged up, so when his son took a shower, it backed up the drain until the toilet overflowed. He wasn't able to replicate the problem (probably because he didn't run the shower for an hour like the son did. He'll probably end up snaking the drain out after it happens a few more times. My guess is the plug is way, way down the drain, which is why it takes a long time for the water to back up all the way and overflow from the toilet).

His beer is also being fermented in the basement, which is why he was worried that the flooding might have affected them. But his beer didn't get flooded, which is good. Then his son was complaining the basement is cold, but there wasn't room another electric baseboard heater. So instead, he set a dehumidifier up down there, and now the basement is warmer and dryer.

Oh, and the flooding incident happened while he was away, which is where the Navy Reserves part comes in.

but who is SWIMBO?
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: HopFingers, Simple Saison
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Pliny the Zombie, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post
but who is SWIMBO?

Like SWMBO, but a blonde?

She Who Instantly Must Be Obeyed?

Alright, fine, it's probably a typo.

Sorry about the...blonde thing...

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 02-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the support folks.... I guess in my efforts to be less long winded, I made it a little too condensed. dorklord, good clarification. SWIMBO typo... The little voice in my head was sayin' SWMBO and my fingers typed SWIMBO...

Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
Thanks for the support folks.... I guess in my efforts to be less long winded, I made it a little too condensed. dorklord, good clarification. SWIMBO typo... The little voice in my head was sayin' SWMBO and my fingers typed SWIMBO...
It's all in good fun man
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: HopFingers, Simple Saison
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Pliny the Zombie, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 02-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes