Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Forsaking Brewing Software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
snater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Forsaking Brewing Software

Looking around the discussions here it seems like a lot of brewers are head over heals for brewing software. Personally, half the fun for me is doing the math on paper. Granted, I'm not making back-to-back brews, so I understand the possible time saving advantage. There's something meditative about sitting down with my TI-83 and working out the target gravity and IBUs.

Does this make me a masochist? Anyone else like scrawling formulas in their brew notebook?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

what do you think most of us do in our spare time? where do you think the formula in my sig showed up from? btw i did that

yeah i know i use a scratch pad and a simple calculator to work up new recipes grain bills and strike volumes/temps no need for the ti-83 whatever, never could use them worth a damn and i still have one from my college days.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I dunno. Sitting down and running the occaisional formula in a calculator or on paper is one thing, but brewing software can provide so many valuable tools in one place. You can track your inventory, save your recipes, refer to past recipes, run your refractometer/hydrometer/carbonation corrections, figure your strike water temps, etc etc. It is just a handy one stop for so much brewing and tracking information. Hard to fault so strong a tool for $20 or so.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
boredatwork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

For me its not so much about the hassle of crunching number, but the security of knowing that I didn't make some stupid mistake. Software that has been tested and used by a lot of people weeds out a lot of the errors - which is really to your benefit.

Even the people that do the math themselves eventually end up using a spreadsheet, which is basically the same as using software anyway.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
BillyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. I am not the engineering type and find no real satisfaction from doing by hand - never really trusted my math anyway

Do what makes you feel good - that is what this hobby is all about.

Cheers!

Primary: Empty
Red Chair NWPA, Dim Wit

Secondary: Empty

Keg: RedShift IPA, Bootstrap IPA, Dos Equis, Albino Pale Ale, Total Domination Clone, Rye IPA, Grant's Perfect Porter, Cascadian Dark Ale, IIPA

Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm a computer geek (as I think many brewers are) and just like shiny new toys, that includes software.

Also, brewing is a hobby and should be fun, for me math is not fun at all the various brewing software's out there take the headache out of it for me.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
snater
Recipes 

good points. I think I'm also partially driven by the thought that in 1000 years, after the zombie apocalypse and humanity is rebuilding, my extensive, handwritten notebook will be found and the basis of a future brewing renaissance :-D

Old 12-19-2009, 05:57 AM   #8
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Personally I go for the software. I have a background in acoustics and I used to design speakers, specifically subwoofer enclosures, doing the math the hard way on paper. Powerfull software has revolutionized this process and I find it very similar to the designing of craft beers. Go ahead and use the software.....I am a huge proponent of beersmith....

Old 12-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Nope. I never wrote a recursive algorithm approximating an integral over time to estimate IBUs, based on Tinseth's data.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #10
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I just find it easy, organized and about 30 times more efficient and faster to use software. Like others have mentioned I also wouldn't trust my math after all the handwritten calculations are done.

Quick Reply