Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > forgot to vorlauf..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
You're fine of course. I've actually heard now from two different yeast nerds that vorlaufing removes a large portion of lipids from the wort which are essential to yeast health, particularly in the lag/reproduction phase.
That doesn't make sense, because you're pouring everything right back into the mash tun. Are you sure that they aren't talking about some other process? All you do in a vourlauf is draining a few quarts of wort out of the bottom of your tun, till there are no husks, and pouring it back in the top of your tun, back into the mash. How would anything be "lost" if everything is going back in?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
That doesn't make sense, because you're pouring everything right back into the mash tun. Are you sure that they aren't talking about some other process? All you do in a vourlauf is draining a few quarts of wort out of the bottom of your tun, till there are no husks, and pouring it back in the top of your tun, back into the mash. How would anything be "lost" if everything is going back in?
Larger lipid coagulates could definitely bind to grain material on their way through the bed. Let me go grab the video clip that I saw most recently. Still, I don't know why there would be more lipids in the wort you pull out for vorlauf than in the rest of it. Just something I've heard more than once now from people who really know their yeast.

Edit: here's the BrewingTV episode- the vorlauf bit starts around 7:05 http://www.brewingtv.com/episodes/2011/8/10/brewing-tv-episode-42-kings-coolship.html

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

i never vorlauf anymore, i go straight to the kettle. the resulting beer is as clear as it was when i did vorlauf so i never went back. the bits of grain don't seem to make any difference either so i feel like i'm all set in that department. the old "try it and see" test i guess is what i call it.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
When I first started brewing, it seemed that every time I would bottle I'd get about half of the bottles filled before realizing I didnt prime the batch.
$hit, I just did something like this a few months ago, but it was with the acid blend addition for my cider. I made up a solution and painstakingly uncapped all the bottles and added in 1 ml of the stuff and recapped...sucked to have to do all the extra work, but the cider turned out great...
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Quick Reply