New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > forgot to vorlauf..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default forgot to vorlauf..

made 3 batches this past weekend and it wasn't until i was going through some threads on here yesterday that i completely forgot to vorlauf on all 3 of them .. i know it won't effect my brew much at all.. seemed to sparge fine w/o any stucks or extra particulates.. though i was just wondering if anybody else has done weird mistakes like that which you don't even realize, but are so off from your typical brewing routine that had to make you laugh afterwards

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. Apfelwein, The Fox Says... Yum, Shot in the Dark
Keg 1: The Fox Says... Yum | Keg 2: Shot in the Dark | Keg 3: Second Breakfast Oatmeal Stout Clone
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

It's no big deal, stuff settles anyway. But we all forget to vorlauf or add moss or get hop additions mixed up on occasion.

And the funny thing is....The beer still manages to turn out fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
gx1400
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a new MLT for my first solo brew with a CVPC manifold a couple weeks ago, it worked amazingly well, didn't even have to vorlauf. I pulled 2 pitchers and had zero sediment pull. 3/4" CVPC with holes cut by a dremel metal cut-off wheel (just what I had at home).

Old 07-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It's no big deal, stuff settles anyway. But we all forget to vorlauf or add moss or get hop additions mixed up on occasion.

And the funny thing is....The beer still manages to turn out fine.
Exactly. That's the beauty of homebrewing is you can "screw up" and still make great beer. I've had some mighty tasty mistakes over the years. Good work on cranking out 3 batches in 1 weekend!

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 07-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
krenshaw

Recipes 

i usually like to take a day off of work and do 2 batches since the wife and kid aren't around.. but this past weekend they both went to pittsburgh to visit family so i had the place to myself, and nothing left in my kegs except for some apfelwein so i knew what i was doing.. i'm also working on building my keezer which i'm looking forward to posting pics once i have most of it done..

funny thing was i wasn't even drinking while i was brewing.. first time i've ever not drank anything but with the temps at 98 i believe it was, i had about a gallon of water..

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING

Keg 1: The Fox Says... Yum | Keg 2: Shot in the Dark | Keg 3: Second Breakfast Oatmeal Stout Clone

Old 07-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I unknowingly had a giant dough ball in the middle of my mash tun while sparging my IPA a couple weekends ago, which wrecked my efficiency. I now have a 67 IBU 4.2% session IPA. It tastes good, but the bitterness ratio is about 50% higher than I was going for. Just goes to show that you can screw up a lot of stuff, but it's pretty hard not to end up with beer at the end.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

BIAB brewers can't vorlauf, and as it increases in popularity for reasons I can't wrap my head around, they don't complain.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I first started brewing, it seemed that every time I would bottle I'd get about half of the bottles filled before realizing I didnt prime the batch.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

You're fine of course. I've actually heard now from two different yeast nerds that vorlaufing removes a large portion of lipids from the wort which are essential to yeast health, particularly in the lag/reproduction phase. A quick google doesn't turn up anything- does anybody have some data or another source for this? It's not an issue for me when I'm brewing at home (BIAB) but it would be nice info to have at the brewery. I've never been particularly interested in getting super clear wort before racking to the fermentor- none of that stuff ends up in the finished beer anyway. Some people think it's really important, though.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
krenshaw

Recipes 

yeah i always primary for 4 weeks.. hard rule to stick to but i haven't broken it yet in all of my AG batches.. always had crystal clear beers with no added agents.. don't mind some extra stuff added to the yeast cake

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING

Quick Reply