Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Forgot to take first hydrometer reading?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
jcs401
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Forgot to take first hydrometer reading?

So my beer has been fermentin for a bout two days now however I forgot to take the first hydrometer reading is it okay to open my fermenter to take a reading after a couple of days or is it worse to open it this early??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I wouldn't bother. The gravity has already dropped significantly. If you have both a hydrometer and a refractometer you can calculate OG and ABV from final measurements.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 09-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 419 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Was your brew a kit? If it was your OG is what was specified by the recipe as long as your volumes were correct. If not a kit don't worry. OG is only useful for estimating ABV. A hydrometer reading after fermentation has begun will only give you a ball park OG. Not worth the risk of infection.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/forgot-take-hydrometer-reading-before-fermentation-433590/
If it tastes good after bottle conditioning your brew was a success.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 404 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
Was your brew a kit? If it was your OG is what was specified by the recipe as long as your volumes were correct. If not a kit don't worry. OG is only useful for estimating ABV. A hydrometer reading after fermentation has begun will only give you a ball park OG. Not worth the risk of infection.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/forgot-take-hydrometer-reading-before-fermentation-433590/
If it tastes good after bottle conditioning your brew was a success.
As long as it was an EXTRACT kit and the volumes were correct - your OG is what it was advertised at.

DON"T take it now - as stated above - no real reason to, and a good way to infect your beer. it is really not "necessary" information - it is nice to have, but not critical to the outcome of your product.
Primary: Ordinary Bitter, Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter
Secondary: Bo-Pils, Sour Cherry Stout,
Future Brews: German Pilsner, Dortmunder, Porter, APA, IPA, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
jcs401
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the advice, picture attatched is the kit I used. Anything I need to know/consider for a successful brew?also would like to know how/when to transfer to secondary carboy and how/if I can add some orange flavor to secondary when transferring?

image-3860287207.jpg   image-2913762317.jpg  

Quick Reply