Forgive my ignorence...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRatsBrew

Reaction score
but please somebody let me know what SWMBO stands for. I think I got one but need to know for sure before she figures it out... Thanks

Those who use the term SWMBO must have some messed up one sided relationships.. Good luck with that. I'll stick to a healthy mutual relationship.

Those who use the term SWMBO must have some messed up one sided relationships.. Good luck with that. I'll stick to a healthy mutual relationship.

Actually nope. I call SWMBO, SWMBO to her face. She giggles about it and that is it. She is my best friend and very supportive of my hobby.

We do not argue or fight. I actually think we had one minor disagreement in 6 years, I do not even remember what it was about and we have great communication between us.

As for me obeying her, she asks very little of me and I am happy to help with any of her requests.

To me SWMBO is easier, faster and is internet/text friendly.

Actually nope. I call SWMBO, SWMBO to her face. She giggles about it and that is it. She is my best friend and very supportive of my hobby.

We do not argue or fight. I actually think we had one minor disagreement in 6 years, I do not even remember what it was about and we have great communication between us.

As for me obeying her, she asks very little of me and I am happy to help with any of her requests.

I still don't understand why you would use it. Those who "jokingly" use it I feel like are joking about the truth the majority of the time. Also, "gf" or "wife" is much faster. I mean to each his own, but it seems dumb to me.

I agree with this, it seems like many people use it as a mockery to those than cannot manage a successful relationship. Kind of like calling the big guy in gym class "Tiny."

I still don't understand why you would use it.
I learned about it here. I almost exclusively use it here or when talking about brewing. So this is also a "when in Rome" thing to me. She does not get upset about about the term, so in my book that is "a go." We even have some soft ball Tee-shirts that she is going to put SWMBO on the back of hers and RDWHAHB on mine with a large number 1 for her "team number" and a 1.010 for mine. Should we ever get them finished I will post a pic. :D

Those who "jokingly" use it I feel like are joking about the truth the majority of the time.
As I stated before it is the truth in a meaningless way. I DO answer to her but she is not a crazy/bossy/controlling person. She is my partner as much as I am hers.

Also, "gf" or "wife" is much faster. I mean to each there own, but it seems dumb to me.
and we are at the heart of the matter. I would like to personally welcome you to the internetz. There are some real "wack jobs and weirdos" here on the internet (not HBT, 98% of folks here seem to be OK past beer/brewing obsessions) there are folks who go to great lengths to steal your personal info. / spy/ stalk or what not.
My stand is the more anonymous the better. Hence why we do not use our real names as forum user names. (Tho some are pretty obvious.) I may not want everyone to know my marital status or even sexual gender preference. SWMBO is a fantastic way to say "my significant other" with out offending anyone or making others feel uptight. (Mine actually is a female) and it can also hide your gender as well. There are female brewers on the site and maybe they do not want the entire site to know they are female. If they drop a SWMBO here or there it keeps people guessing...I actually have a few suspicions about this but will be keeping it to myself because it has no bearing on why we are here and that is to discuss all areas of brewing and beer.

What gets me, more so on sites like FB, is the folks that post up baby/children pics as avatars. I understand you are proud of that child and want to share that pride with the world but the sad truth is, there are pedophiles out there that LOVE that crap. Why expose the thing you love most to the nastiest thing ever invented?

My rule of thumb is when it comes to the internet you can never have to much vagueness.

I agree with this, it seems like many people use it as a mockery to those than cannot manage a successful relationship. Kind of like calling the big guy in gym class "Tiny."

I am not mocking anyone. I seriously hope that everyone out there finds that "special someone" to connect with. To me it is just another term of endearment.

sounds like some folks need to take themselves less seriously, or lighten up, or develop a sense of humor - ??

Just sayin'

I respect the hell out of my SWMBO but she insists I call her "beer wench" :D

SWMBO is an acronym with a specific origin. The referenced term, "She Who Must Be Obeyed," was the consistent reference used by Horace Rumpole, the British barrister who was the protagonist of a number of short stories (which I can recommend), collectively known as "Rumpole of the Bailey," by John Mortimer. Rumpole (portrayed by Leo McKern in the BBC series of the same name) is an incorrigible defender of any and all clients, a devotee of the bottle, and always refers to his wife Hilda as "SWMBO."

Latest posts

Back