Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Force carbing noobe questions :)
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
silvery37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 62
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

After I keg the beer is at room temp. I set the regulator to 30 psi and do 4 cycles of pressurize, shake a few times, then re pressurize. This seems to get me a good start with carbonation. After this I put the beer in the fridge and set the regulator to 12 psi. By the time the beer is cold, about a day, there is enough carbonation to be drinkable. Might need a few more days but this gets me a good head start.


If you did 15 min of shaking at 30psi and the beer is cold you will be way over carbed. You wont have permanently altered the flavor but you will need to keep burping the keg to get rid of excess co2.

__________________
silvery37 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
brycelarson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 526
Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

I have three mothods:

12 psi for a week = happy
30 psi for 2 days + 12 psi for 1-2 days = happy
30 psi with shaking + 15-20 psi for a day then 12 psi = happy (but sometimes unreliable)

__________________
brycelarson is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
jesseroberge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 276
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Alot of you people set it and forget it at 12 psi in the kegerator, isn't 12 psi the best serving pressure but low on co2 content in beer ?? I kegged my first beer ever this summer and it was a saison, set the keg to 12 psi and let it go for a week or to, the beer was not carbed enough for the style

What do you guys think about 12 psi set and forget for any style ?

__________________
jesseroberge is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,665
Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseroberge View Post
Alot of you people set it and forget it at 12 psi in the kegerator, isn't 12 psi the best serving pressure but low on co2 content in beer ?? I kegged my first beer ever this summer and it was a saison, set the keg to 12 psi and let it go for a week or to, the beer was not carbed enough for the style

What do you guys think about 12 psi set and forget for any style ?
That works for the vast majority of styles, but in a very highly carbed beer you may need a higher pressure. It's also related to temperature- my kegerator is 40 degrees, but if yours is warmer you may need a higher pressure.

Here's a chart to help: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
jesseroberge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 276
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

That works for the vast majority of styles, but in a very highly carbed beer you may need a higher pressure. It's also related to temperature- my kegerator is 40 degrees, but if yours is warmer you may need a higher pressure.

Here's a chart to help: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
I find that an extra cold kegerator sometimes alters the taste of the beer because it's too cold, for example I have a caramel brown ale that has trouble giving it's caramel flavors when it's cold, I allways find that the end of my glass is better than the first sip because it had time to warm up a bit...
__________________
jesseroberge is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,613
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseroberge View Post
I find that an extra cold kegerator sometimes alters the taste of the beer because it's too cold, for example I have a caramel brown ale that has trouble giving it's caramel flavors when it's cold, I allways find that the end of my glass is better than the first sip because it had time to warm up a bit...

True, too cold, and the flavor doesn't come through. It's simple enough to warm it if you have a beer that needs a warmer serving temp before you drink it.

Also, getting it ultra cold isn't needed to allow the co2 to get into solution properly, it just helps.

I have a Blonde Ale I just put on tap last sunday. 6 days ago, put it at 11 PSI and my keezer is at 37*. My beer is already carbed and pours a nice head on it.

For me, there is no reason to amp the gas pressure up, no need to make the keezer colder, and shaking it doesn't really save but maybe a day or two, simply because I have to wait to serve, because it's stirred up all the crap and made a bunch of foam in the keg.

Ultimately, you need to figure out what works for you, and your set up. Also, the beers that you commonly drink, come in to play. If you prefer really high carbonation, then thats your prerogative and you can do that.. after all, it's your beer and you are the one drinking it. Some people find over carbed beer has a bite to it that hides the subtle flavors of the beer.
__________________
FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hamburg, NY
Posts: 456
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Confession of force carber by shaking.

Used to do it all the time because I wanted beer for the weekend. I've moved up to double batches and I shook one keg and set and forgot the other for two weeks.

That one that sat was absolutely incredible beer compared to the shaken. There was a hop bite with the shaken and as someone said the caramel malty taste was gone, but with the forgotten one I could actually taste the citrus from the cascade and I got very well balanced malt flavor.

No more shaking for me.

__________________
Paulgs3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads