Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Force carbing noobe questions :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
jesseroberge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Force carbing noobe questions :)

I just force carbed my brown ale a few minuts ago, I had chilled it over night and decided to force carb the beast...

Cranked my psi to 30 and rocked for a full 15 mins...

I bupbed the keg completly and dialed back down to 14 psi wich is the right PSI for the beer...

Should I have waited before burping or is it ok like that ?

Some vids on youtube say let it sit at 30 psi over night ...

What do you guys do ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just poured me
A half glass of beer/foam gonna wait till tomorrow my guage is at 14/15 psi right where I want it to be

Can my beer have altered taste because of the mess inside the keg ? I find that the carmel flavors are not as present as before carbing ??

Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It's better to use the set and forget. I tried the shake, and the over carb, and it's not good.

Depending on your line length and temp, you'll end up pouring half beer/foam the whole time. You also run the risk of over carbing the beer and it being a mess too.

Shaking it also worked up all the crap that settled out in the cold, back into solution for a bit. It needs to settle down.

Next time, set it to the amount you need to carb and leave it be. I generally see it carbed up within 5-6 days max to the level I want. Shaking it and doing all that junk really only saves 1 day, and I don't end up beating my beer to death with shaking and rousing all the particulate that made it over when I racked to it.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input

Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

If you just HAVE to have a taste, get some PET bottles and a couple of carbonator caps.

It's a bit easier to shake a 1 or 2 liter bottle than a 5 gallon keg.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I tried a few different methods when I first started kegging. Shaking it for a while, setting it to a very high pressure for a few days then backing down, and finally settled on what FATC1TY said. Set it at serving pressure, forget about it for about a week, and your beer will be perfect.

Yes, all the other methods work, but over carbing isn't the best method as you will end up with a lot of foam initially and if you shake it around, then you have to wait a day or two anyway for everything to fall out. Once you get the pipeline going, set it and forget it works best for me.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have great luck with 30 psi for 36 hours at 33 degrees. Then I kill the gas, purge the keg, set at serving pressure, turn the gas back on, and go. I never used to believe you could carb beer that quickly, but...it works. The colder you can get your beer, the easier it will absorb CO2.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 09-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 676 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Shaking it also worked up all the crap that settled out in the cold, back into solution for a bit. It needs to settle down.
Given that the dip tube draws beer from the bottom of the keg, not the top, wouldn't any particulates that settle to the bottom get drawn out with the first few glasses of beer anyway? Just wondering, as I haven't done this yet.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 20

A while back I read here or another forum to try 30 psi for 24 hours, then 20 psi for 24 hours than 10-12 psi for 48 hours and I've used that for months with 90% good results. Naturally, different beers require different amounts of gas but for the most part, I'm sticking with this method. In 4 days I can have very drinkable beer. In 5-6, it's perfect.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
I have great luck with 30 psi for 36 hours at 33 degrees. Then I kill the gas, purge the keg, set at serving pressure, turn the gas back on, and go. I never used to believe you could carb beer that quickly, but...it works. The colder you can get your beer, the easier it will absorb CO2.
Yes, I've done that too, with good results. The only difference is that my kegerator is at 40 degrees.

The key with that working is NOT shaking/agitating/etc because that causes some foaming (picture shaking a soda) as well as can overcarb the beer. Set the beer in the kegerator, hook it up, and walk away for 36 hours. After 36 hours, purge and reset at 12 psi and keep it there.

Of course, just hooking it up at 12 psi and leaving it totally alone means carbed up beer in about a week, and gives it some time to clear (get rid of chill haze) and condition a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Given that the dip tube draws beer from the bottom of the keg, not the top, wouldn't any particulates that settle to the bottom get drawn out with the first few glasses of beer anyway? Just wondering, as I haven't done this yet.
Yes, but not if you move or agitate the keg. It just resuspends in there, and takes longer to settle out so that more glasses of beer will have some sediment in it. If you shake the keg, the co2 (nucleation sites) will "hold up" the sediment longer, and can impact head retention. It will take much longer to clear if shaken.

Quick Reply