Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Foam Settling Boil for Extract Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
PavlovsCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Foam Settling Boil for Extract Brewing

One of the local professional brewers here recommends using a "foam settling boil" prior to adding hops. I used this technique yesterday for a 3 gallon boil in a 5 gallon pot and did not get hardly an ounce of foam. I usually have to add a drop or two of D-150 to prevent boil-overs, but not this time. The technique for my recipe was steeping grains at 165 for 20 min, off heat, add and stir in extract, slowly raise heat till a "light" boil is reached for 5 minutes, then begin the hard boil and add the hops and begin timing. Got a vigorous boil and the surface looked like I had already added the de-foamer.

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

just curious but why would you want to steap at 165? that seems somewhat warm and your going to get alot of unfermentable sugars and dextrins. If thats what your looking for by all means.....i would stick with a spray bottle of water to keep foam at bay or use defoamer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply