Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > flying with beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
quixotic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default flying with beer

I'd like to pack some homebrew with me on an upcoming flight back home, but security only lets you bring a few ounces of liquid on the plane now. So I believe that checking it in is my only option (short of mailing).

I was wondering if anyone has experience with packing bottled home brews in their check-in luggage.

Is this a bottle bomb waiting to happen , or am I good to go? Maybe a growler (or any other twist off) would be better? Thought/ideas?

secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Bottle them in Pete bottles.

You can get them from most LHBS's or online....even through mrbeer.com since they include them with their kits...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
quixotic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks. Luckily, it's kegged right now, so no problem filling to a plastic bottle. Good idea, I think I might have a few of those laying around.

secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 05-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
mullimat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

I've never brought homebrews on flights with me (haven't flown anywhere since i've been in the hobby). But i can speak for commercial beers in which i have never had a problem bringing a few bottles in my checked luggage. Just make sure you pack them good. Meaning plenty of clothes in between bottles. Sounds kinda ghetto but i normally just roll them up in some tshirts or something. And i've done this flying all over the world. Never had a bottle break.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Whenever I fly I always take beers with me. Usually homebrew out wherever I am going and some commercial beer back with me. Generally what I do is put each beer in a nice fluffy sock and then wrap them all in clothes so they cant possible bang into each other. When I first started doing this I always put the clothes/towels with the beer in them in a garbage bag in case of an accident but I've never had a problem with it.

On occasions where I don't have much luggage and have lots of beer to bring I'll just wrap up beer just like I would ship it and check that. A full case of beer weighs about 32lbs (the case I just filled up with various beers weighed that), so even with good packing it would be under their 50lbs limit. If its in a separate package I'd try to keep it under 25lbs just to be safe.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Whenever I fly I always take beers with me. Usually homebrew out wherever I am going and some commercial beer back with me. Generally what I do is put each beer in a nice fluffy sock and then wrap them all in clothes so they cant possible bang into each other. When I first started doing this I always put the clothes/towels with the beer in them in a garbage bag in case of an accident but I've never had a problem with it.

On occasions where I don't have much luggage and have lots of beer to bring I'll just wrap up beer just like I would ship it and check that. A full case of beer weighs about 32lbs (the case I just filled up with various beers weighed that), so even with good packing it would be under their 50lbs limit. If its in a separate package I'd try to keep it under 25lbs just to be safe.
Unfortunately, many domestic carriers are now charging for an extra piece of checked baggage - usually about $40.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #7
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I travel all the time and I do what others have said, wrap them in your suitcase never had a problem yet. What I would do is weigh your suitcase before you leave and then weigh a 12oz bottle so you know how heavy you can be without paying the over weigh fine.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 05-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
Jared311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I packed 18 homebrews into one duffel bag and luckily every single one survived. I wrapped each bottle with paper towels and placed them in sixers. This prevented them from tapping each other. Then I wrapped each sixer in a large bath towel and finally I stuffed the excess space on all sides of the duffel bag with a couple of blankets. When wrapping the sixers I made sure to stuff well in between the bottle necks as well. Good luck!

Sláinte,
Jared311

Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Unfortunately, many domestic carriers are now charging for an extra piece of checked baggage - usually about $40.
Only $25 with NWA

I heard they are also going to start charging you $10-15 for requesting a window window seat

Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #10
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've traveled several times with crown capped homebrew in my luggage. Last summer, traveling in warm weather, I had about a 25% rate of leaking bottles. (My underwear smelled of chocolate stout!) Could have been a coincidence, but no problems at all in cooler weather. Since then I've put each bottle in a ziploc before wrapping in clothes.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Quick Reply