The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Florida Brew Pubs ~ Orlando Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1220 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 763

Any of the above sell growlers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
gonzoflick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You mean any of the above beer bars? I've only seen growlers at Orlando brewing. They have a neat little placemat with all 11 of their beers on it and yo-u can order the sampler with 4oz glasses of each. had it the other day and it was very good.

On tap: NOTHING

Old 05-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
Melana
Up to no good....

Recipes 

Yeah, one of our other obsessions is collecting growlers from different micro breweries. I think we're up to 14 or so and have them from MA, VT, NY, NV, RI, and CT.
Yes we're obsessed with our beer....

Old 05-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
Melana
Up to no good....

Recipes 

Come to find out that Orlando Brewing ran out of growlers and will be out of stock for 2 more weeks...
They told my husband that there are only 3 growler licenses in FL and they have one and AB has the other two.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
gonzoflick

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

wow...didnt know you needed a license to sell those.. i wonder how come.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #16
Melana
Up to no good....

Recipes 

Yeah, I've found that in other states as well. The growler license is a seperate liquor license.... from what i understand...

Now we won't have a Florida growler for our collection!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #17
gonzoflick

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well send me a PM in a couple of weeks and I'll go down and pick you up one. minus the tasty beer of course!!

Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 PM   #18
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Florida still has some remnants of the old blue laws in various counties and of course AB has huge lobby influence - it wasn't until just last year that the sizes that could available for retail purchase included 22oz, 500ml and other variations. They weren't allowed on a premise that consumers needed to be protected from too many choices type of thing. It kept a ton of imports and micros out of the state. I just purchased Leffe this past weekend (YUM!) for the first time at our local grocery. I had read about it but never seen it before.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Dead thread.

Moved to FL in 06'. Reminds me why I started brewing to begin with: BMC was only available option. Chain grocery store and chain mega liquor store only real places to buy beer. Some other spots to shop are an hours drive one way for larger selection, but terrible price. Used to be a brewpub, but went out of business in 04 or 05.

Why? Are the laws so onerous? It seems the distributors have all the legal perks!

I was able to discover if you are a manufacturer producing less than 10k barrels I think it's $500 license, plus a Consume on premises license sold in conjunction with that, but pricing varies by county. No idea on growler (consume off premises?)

Some days I dream about opening a small brewpub in town. I work full time though, and then some. It's a pipe dream, but on some grueling days, I think about taking a puff. Today I did a google search and can't figure out how to find out even where to get started to just explore the feasibility of a small brewpub.
I've read a couple threads about going pro. Want to find out more about the laws in FL and my county, but just going to the government website and trying to interpret all the legalese is impossible, and largely seems irrelevant to my initial questions.

For now then back to work and set aside the pipe dream..

TD

Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Dead thread.

Moved to FL in 06'. Reminds me why I started brewing to begin with: BMC was only available option. Chain grocery store and chain mega liquor store only real places to buy beer. Some other spots to shop are an hours drive one way for larger selection, but terrible price. Used to be a brewpub, but went out of business in 04 or 05.

Why? Are the laws so onerous? It seems the distributors have all the legal perks!

I was able to discover if you are a manufacturer producing less than 10k barrels I think it's $500 license, plus a Consume on premises license sold in conjunction with that, but pricing varies by county. No idea on growler (consume off premises?)

Some days I dream about opening a small brewpub in town. I work full time though, and then some. It's a pipe dream, but on some grueling days, I think about taking a puff. Today I did a google search and can't figure out how to find out even where to get started to just explore the feasibility of a small brewpub.
I've read a couple threads about going pro. Want to find out more about the laws in FL and my county, but just going to the government website and trying to interpret all the legalese is impossible, and largely seems irrelevant to my initial questions.

For now then back to work and set aside the pipe dream..

TD
Wow I saw this thread and got excited about it's contents.... Then I noticed if was dead . Anyhow I to am an Orlando Native and feel your pain (Besides Orlando Brewery) but have you tried this place? http://thehourglassbrewery.com/kettle/ I have not but I have heard very good things!

Quick Reply