The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Floaties in commercial brews lately

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Floaties in commercial brews lately

The last 3 six packs I've bought have had way more floaties than I've ever seen in commercial beers before. Not hop particles, not yeast, white homogeneously distributed clumps. Stone IPA, Dale's Pale and Hebrew Genesis purchased 1 week apart from each other at 3 local stores that sell a lot of beer.

Is this chill haze and why does there seem to be so much of it?

The beers taste fine. Just curious, I don't get floaties in my homebrew and I don't usually see it in commercial brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 370 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There is a trend of craft breweries headed towards naturally carbing in bottles instead of mass force carbing, but I know for a fact that Dale's is not in this camp, and I doubt Stone is either on their normal IPA. Stone is a very "green" brewery, so I'm sure they do have some naturally carbed varieties, but I'm sure it is clearly stated on the packaging. I don't think I've ever had a Hebrew Genesis before.

Here in FL, all Oskar Blues beers, like Dale's Pale Ale, are in cans, and there should be ZERO chance of floaties in a can.

Do you happen to be pouring these beers into frosty glasses? Frost from frosty glasses often clumps into little soft ice bunches and floats to the surface right when the beer is poured. It looks alot like yeast clumps, but it's just ice.

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply