Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Flavoring Quest.???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
mike1978
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Flavoring Quest.???

I'm preparing to make an Allagash Clone and was wondering about the Bitter Orange Peel flavoring. Can I somehow use a fresh orange to get the same flavor?? Also, the recipe calls for .5 oz of Saaz and 1 oz Tettenanger, I have a ton of Amarillo, Cascade and Centannial hops on hand and was wondering if i might be able to sub them and still come close to the same taste? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
ZehBaron
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently brewed a witibier with bitter orange peel, and to be honest, I wish I'd have added some fresh orange as well; the bitter peel doesn't give the citrus character I'm looking for. Try zesting a fresh orange and using that in addition to some bitter orange peel-- that should give you a fresher, more citrusy profile.

In terms of hops, you can certainly substitute any of the varieties you listed, but just be aware that you'll have an American hop profile rather than a classic Noble hop aroma. Also, if you do substitute the American hops, you'll want to adjust the amount of bittering hops to compensate for the different AAU levels.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
mike1978
Recipes 

Did you just add the flavoring at flameout and leave it in the primary?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
ZehBaron
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, that's what I did...though boiling the orange with some water to make a sort of "tea" to add to secondary would probably work at least as well.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
mike1978
Recipes 

I think i'm gonna try just the fresh zest this time. I did a Wit about 6 months ago with the bitter orange peel, and i'm like you, i just didnt get that citrus i was lookin for. Plus, I'm tryin to do this one with as little damage to the wallet as possible.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just remember to do your zesting before you start the boil. It can take awhile, and you'll probably need a lot of it.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Quick Reply