Flameout vs dry hop or both

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
Just wondering if most people do both flameout addition and dry hop, or if dry hopping is the flameout addition redundant and not necessary? ( for APA or IPA)

Thanks

My recent favorite APA recipes call for both. Nebraska Brewing's Cardinal Pale Ale uses something like .65 oz cascade at 0 min and 2.6 oz cascade at dry hop (along with some galena at 60 min). Check the CYBI podcast for the recipe. It's great. I also just made a Citra pale ale that I'm very happy with. It used 1.0 oz citra each at 10, 0 and dry hop (along with some magnum at 60 min).

I haven't done any experiments where I take one recipe and move the flameout addition to dry hop, or visa versa, or maybe split a single addition to add 50% at each point, but I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has.

I generally do both. I love dry hopped beer so most all of my beers have a dry hop at least.

I'm certainly not experienced enough to explain my thoughts here (suppose I could look it up...) but I THINK there's probably different chemical reactions with the oils and acids in the hops at different temperatures. At flameout you're going to pull different characteristics than you would during a dry hop addition. I generally have both additions in all of my pale ales and IPAs. Even had both additions in my most recent Kolsch (Crystal/Mittelfruh combination) and am still waiting on the outcome, but looking forward to it!

Cheers!

Both. They'll give you different aromas and flavors because of 1) temperature differences and 2) presence of alcohol, which can extract different compounds.

For APA/IPA I always do both. More hops! I've also been doing a hot stand/whirlpool for 20-30 mins when I drop my flameout additions.

As the consensus seems to be, I do both as well for my IPA/APA. Usually 3 minutes or so before flame out and then during the second week in the primary fermenter.

After looking at this I am going to no only do a hop stand but am going to dry hop the **** out of the Blonde I am brewing tomorrow.

I've tried a large FO only APA with Centennial (type) and the flavor and aroma were outstanding. No boiling addition and no dry hopping. Although I still think you get a better aroma if you add a little dry hop in the mix.

+1 on the hop stand.

IMO an IPA needs to be dry-hopped and consumed within 6-8 weeks after that. It's downhill on hop flavor and nose from the moment you rack it off the dry hops. Now a 6-month old IPA can still taste good, but is not as fragrant and "hoppy" as a fresh one.

IMO there are just some direct, floral aromatics that can just not be had without dryhopping. Certainly the best way to find out for yourself is to try FO only and dry hop only with all else being equal. FO aromatics seem to be to be locked in better than DH aromatics. I like to do both with APAs and IPAs. As an aside, I really like vienna lager grainbills fermented with English yeasts with mid-level IBUs, with just the tiniest amount of dry hopping.

Back