New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First Year Brewpub Sales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
NigeltheBold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Year Brewpub Sales

I'm writing up a business plan and I'm trying to do some market research, but I'm not having much success. There are no brewpubs in my city (Dayton, Ohio), and its hard to get sales data from local establishments because they're afraid I'm a competitor.

I'm trying to come up with estimates for first year beer sales (in barrels). Our brewpub will have a 10 bbl brewhouse and will hopefully be located south of the city in a relatively busy suburban location.

What is a typical sales volume for a starting brewpub of our size? At first, I thought it might be around 500 barrels, but after looking at the numbers of other Ohio brewpubs, I have no idea what to estimate.

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The sales volume is based off of the number of seats in the establishment, not the brewing capacity. It doesn't matter how much beer you can brew if you can't fit people in your bar. It also doesn't matter how many people you can fit if you can't brew enough beer.

Start by considering how many seats you expect to have, aka the number of serviceable customers you can have max. Then consider throughout the day how many seats might be filled. Consider that Friday and Sat nights you might fill the place up, but monday for lunch you might only have x amount of seats per hour.

Then consider how many drinks each customer might have. In a brewpub generally people will buy several drinks because it's more adventurous than a regular bar. People who don't even drink beer regularly will ask for suggestions as to what unique beers you have and should likely order. Imagine each person might have .75-1.5 beers during off peak hours, and 2-3.5 during peak hours. Those numbers aren't founded on any sort of real life science, but it demonstrates the concept of drinks per seat which is important.

10bbl is a large amount of beer, so you'd need a pretty big sized brewpub to cycle through that much beer.

Take the average seats per day and average beers per seat, then do the math. Convert total pints to bbl and you'll begin to see how realistic your estimates are. Hope this helps!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Wow, thanks for all of the information, cvstrat! I'll do some calculations and post more questions as they come up.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

It seems that my original estimates were pretty close to my calculations. Around 500 barrels for an 80-seat pub is what I came up with. The pub will be open six days a week with lunch, dinner, and bar service every day.

Now comes the harder part: market research. What do I need to find out through market research? How much beer are local bars selling? What kinds of beers local bars are selling? And what else?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabutna View Post
It seems that my original estimates were pretty close to my calculations. Around 500 barrels for an 80-seat pub is what I came up with. The pub will be open six days a week with lunch, dinner, and bar service every day.

Now comes the harder part: market research. What do I need to find out through market research? How much beer are local bars selling? What kinds of beers local bars are selling? And what else?
With the caveat that I have no experience and therefore I'm not in any way qualified to answer any of these questions... the "what else" that I would want to know in your shoes is what kinds of beers the local beers AREN'T selling that customers wish they were. Basically you'd have to survey people to get to that.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
ArrowheadHops
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

10-15 bbl per seat per year will get you started

Quick Reply