Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First Wort Hopping and Skimming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
travlinScott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default First Wort Hopping and Skimming

So I'm planning out my next brew.... and thinking about trying out "First Wort Hopping" just to see if I like the results, but I have a question that I thought someone on here might be able to answer.

Lately I've been skimming the hot break on my beers, (I didn't always do this) and I think I'm noticing good results from this. But it occurs to me that if I do that with a FWH addition, that I'll actually be skimming away valuable hop material and negating that effects of that addition...

Has anybody else encountered this dilemma? I'm thinking maybe this is just a case where you have to make a tradeoff and just skip the skimming in order to get the benefits of FWH.

Any thoughts or insight on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't skim, I whirlpool at the end. Novel idea though.

Keg #1: Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I skim the protein when I first come to boil. I don't know how this negates the fwh additions. I would not worry about it.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm actually not familiar with skimming anything off during the boil. What purpose does this serve??

Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
travlinScott
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klickmania View Post
I'm actually not familiar with skimming anything off during the boil. What purpose does this serve??
So the foam and stuff that rises to the top as the wort come to a boil is mostly protein and other junk that theoretically you don't really want in your beer. The idea is to just pull that junk out and keep it out of your beer. It seems to help wiht clarity if nothing else.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinScott

So the foam and stuff that rises to the top as the wort come to a boil is mostly protein and other junk that theoretically you don't really want in your beer. The idea is to just pull that junk out and keep it out of your beer. It seems to help wiht clarity if nothing else.
Ok cool. I might try this next time I brew!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 333

I skim the early break off - always have..... Not sure why to be honest - I think I read it somewhere 15 years+ ago and just got in the habit

My beer does end up very clear at the end (and I am one of those who does not use secondary, just 3 weeks in primary), so perhaps there is something to the clarity aspect.

As for the FWH - I know what you are saying. To be honest, I have kind of gotten away from FWH. One reason is this skimming issue and what you are saying. Another reason is I never felt like my hot break happened as well, and felt like I was ending up with cloudy beer. Third reason - I really could not tell much of a significant difference on the hop flavor anyway.

I like to bring to a rolling boil, skimming as needed. Let it go for about 5-10 minutes to get a good break. Then I start with my hop additions.

If you want to FWH and skim and feel you are losing something on the hops..... just add .25 or .5 ounces extra to make up for what you might lose.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I've never skimmed. I've brewed with people who skim and know of professional breweries who also skim. I don't see the point and I don't want to do something extra during the brew if I don't have to.

Lazy, simple brewing.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
travlinScott
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm definitely not trying to convert anybody to doing things one way or another, just contemplating my next beer and thinking "out loud" about possible issues etc. I haven't been brewing that long, so it's always helpful to bounce ideas off of more experienced brewers.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Ruffins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

depouillier - culinary 101. It's french for "skim the scum". every chef, everywhere who knews what they're doing does it when they make stocks. I do it for my boils. I think it make a difference. It you start the boil gently, it's easier to get more of it.

Quick Reply