Did my first smash today. I'm trying to perfect my decoction mashing so I did another one. Took tips from designing great beers, pilsner section and used the vienna lager schedule. For mash out pulled the runnings and boiled with no thick mash.
This brew day was long and hectic. Mash took something like 3 hours or so, I had to go get my kid an hour in the boil so I stopped. Ended up boiling down 9 gallons of wort to 5. We'll see how this turns out. I think it'll be good. The only problem is I may have over did it with the hops. I had 4oz, so I used them all. 1 at 90, .5 at 45, 1 at 15, .75 at 10 and .75 at flameout. Should really get a feel for this hop.