The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First "Real" All-Grain brew going real well so far [knock on wood]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
DRoyLenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First "Real" All-Grain brew going real well so far [knock on wood]

I've done about 6-7 stove top all-grain brews with my extract brewing equipment. I've decided to make the jump, and bought a 60 quart Igloo "Ice Cube" cooler and made myself a manifold.

Well, I just finished the sparge on my first "real" all-grain brew. So far, everything looks and smells great. My MLT only lost 1-2 degrees in the 1 hour mash, and the CPVC manifold I built in my MLT seems to have done a superb job of lautering all the wort.

I'll report back (in the off-chance anyone cares) as to how the rest of the brew day goes. I'm just praying that my gas stove-top will be able to bring 7-7.5 gallons to a boil.

The recipe is a Cascadian Dark Ale BTW...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

You're home free now you are this far with it. Congrats.

You can always split the boil into 2 seperate pots to boil keeping in mind the hop additions would have to be divided according to volume in each pot.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 02-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I kept that in mind, but I was able to achieve a boil (I LOVE the power boil setting). It's not a rigorous as I would like, but its rolling enough to boil off the DMS and volume.

About 45 minutes into a 2 hour boil, hops are going in soon. I can't wait for that beautiful aroma to fill my apartment...

Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ugh, AG brewing is a lot of work. Who would of thought that 5.5 gallons of very hot water and 17.5 pounds of grain would be so difficult! :P

Clean up was much harder too, but it was a fun day for sure. Everything went well, but I'm nervous that my yeast starter was infected, we'll see.

Got just below 70% efficiency, not too bad I suppose for my first shot.

My back is soar, and everything is clean enough, so I'm calling it a day. Just have to go say goodnight to the fermenter... who would've thought a white plastic bucket would be the closest thing I would have to a Valentine...

Old 02-15-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the smell of the grains, mashing grains, boiling wort, fermenting wort all smell sooooooo damn good! makes me want to crawl inside the boil kettle and never come out. i wish i lived closer than 30 miles to a brewery...

Quick Reply