Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First Partial Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Pschof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default First Partial Mash

Did it 6 weeks ago, or so. Popped one open now, and it is a real improvement. I don't have the space to do AG, and was worried that a PM wouldn't be enough to make much of a difference. But I did it mostly with Munich malt, and it gave it a really nice bready malty flavor that I can't get with extract alone. And it required little extra effort. Doing AG would be great, but PM is a really easy way for people without the space to make their beer better. PM it is from now on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

+1

And it's really not much harder than an extract batch.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Pschof
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No, it's not harder at all. The funny thing I have learned about brewing is that everything can seem overwhelming when you first hear it described, but then once you follow through with it, it is relatively easy. The first thing you hear about when you start looking into PM is "Converting starches to fermentable sugars using the grain's enzymes." I had one friend tell me that this sounded "dangerous." I thought it sounded complicated. In reality, it meant putting some grain in hot water for an hour.

Quick Reply