Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
VladOfTrub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Thanks for all the info. I'm always interested in maybe a different way to make Lager. For the past 30 years, I've been using tri-decoction method for Lager and Pilsner. Every so often, I'll use white rice or flaked corn. I haven't used flaked rice. I boil white rice seperately and add it to the main mash. To go from dough in temp, to the acid rest temp. Flaked corn, I dump in the main mash at dough in. Then, fire the mash tun to hit acid rest temp.

Back to my original question. What process are you using? Lagering phase is the end of the process. That's the easy part of the process. Lager isn't made the "same as any other beer." The process isn't based on whether there's corn or rice in the recipe, either. Since you're really not sure of the brewing process. You're probably far from attempting a decoction. So, that leaves the step mash method. Follow through with that method. It's easy. The quote from Noonan's book doesn't include the other 200 pages that get you to the Lagering part of the process. The parts about pH and water chemistry weren't included. You already have the wort in the fermentor before you have the process to get it there, down. It takes experience to make a 1045 Lager. Any imperfection in the process are going to stick out after Lagering. Maybe use Munich. The malt flavor will cover up many sins. If you're going to get into Lager, read Noonan's first book. It's more to the point than the 2nd. George Fix has a few good books, too. After you read their books. Buy Siebels. It will set you back about 200 bucks.... You'll do fine at your first attempt. Don't get discouraged if everything doesn't work out like a book says it should. With time, you'll fine tune things and progress.

I don't use a hydrometer to let me know when it's time for a Diacetyl rest. It only measures density. Not, whether the sugar left is fermentable or non-fermentable. I use a Glucose test kit.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
What brewing process are you using, before you get into the fermentor?
Oops, I misunderstood your question when you asked about the brewing process. I guess it would really depend on the recipe. If I were making a light Lager with lots of Pilsner/pale malt, I'd probably do a double decoction and and a 90 minute boil to boil off the DMS. If I were doing something like a 80 Shilling I'd just mash in at 154, drain, sparge, and start the boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Mairoa
Recipes 

Is it possible to lager in bottles?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've never heard of lagering in bottles. Most people like to lager in kegs because there has to be some yeast in suspension to continue to work on the beer as it's being lagered. People like the convenience of being able to sample right from the keg during the lagering process.

Quick Reply