Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First Home Brew Club meeting... How much to bring?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
Jersh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default First Home Brew Club meeting... How much to bring?

I'm planning to attend a home brew club meeting tomorrow evening for the first time. I have plenty of brew to bring, but I have no idea how much I should bring... I'm guessing there will be around 20-30 people there. Do people typically bring enough for everyone to sample every style you bring?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A lot of time, newer people don't bring anything to the first meeting. I'd go, get the feel of things and find out what others are bringing. Then...next month you'll be ready. I think a growler or equivalent is the standard.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersh View Post
I'm planning to attend a home brew club meeting tomorrow evening for the first time. I have plenty of brew to bring, but I have no idea how much I should bring... I'm guessing there will be around 20-30 people there. Do people typically bring enough for everyone to sample every style you bring?
Our club meetings usually have around 20-40 people depending on the month and I usually pick 1-3 of my most recent ready to drink beers (depending on what I have on hand that I want to show off or get reviews on) and take 2 bottles of each. That usually gives me more than enough of each beer for anyone who wants to try it to do so.
I wouldn't anticipate having eveyone try your beer because the reality is if everyone tried eveyone else's beer everyone would be having 20-50 samples and at even 2 oz thats 100 oz of beer and most have to drive home

I'd pick 1 or 2 beers you're either really proud of or have questions about and take around 24 oz of each, after the first meeting you'll have a pretty good idea of what your clubs norm is.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Cool, thanks for the responses... I have an oatmeal stout that's been aging for 1.5 years so I'll bring a few bottles of that....

Old 02-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Email and ask. At our club you are required to bring a sixer or equivalent. Sadly most people bring commercial beer (not that I don't like drinking commercial beer with friends but that's what the bar is for). When people bring homebrew you can elect to have it passed around for comments (without people knowing who the brewer is though they optionally reveal that at the end). A sixer or growler is enough for 30 people roughly.

I rarely have mine passed around as it takes up time and I can make sure the few people who's opinions I want get some.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

First timers aren't required to bring beer at my club's meetings, so I don't think you should worry too much about it. I usually bring a growler's worth, since I don't bottle, but our rule is one bottle of beer is enough (whether it's a 12oz or 2 gallons is up to you).

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My god, I couldn't imagine bringing beer for 20-30 people at a club meeting. My homebrew club averages around 5-8 a meeting and it seems like a perfect number. Two bottles is always enough to share with everyone.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

how much you bring dictates how large a sample everyone gets.

I'll bring a bomber of something, or two 12's of mead. Average turnout is at least 15 people, sometimes over 30 for picnics/weekend gatherings with spouses.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm going to my first next week and was told two bottles is plenty...

My fear is that they are all grain brewers and I've already seen a bit of the All Grain Brewers only sign hanging on the wall somewhere; maybe hiding in the back.. but never the less, still hanging...

:-) don't be an extract hater........

~ BIAB : All Grain Made Easy ; Mash, Sparge, Boil all in the same Kettle ~ all you need is a bag and a hook!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
BrewDocND
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoenb View Post
I'm going to my first next week and was told two bottles is plenty...

My fear is that they are all grain brewers and I've already seen a bit of the All Grain Brewers only sign hanging on the wall somewhere; maybe hiding in the back.. but never the less, still hanging...

:-) don't be an extract hater........
Extract Brewers Unite! I'm of the opinion that if you can ferment something that tastes good from kitty litter, gym socks, mountain dew code red and the blue **** growing on a block of cheese, go for it.

Kegged- Scottish Heavy (first kegged batch and I didn't f#&% it up!)
Bottled- Belgian Dubbel (Brewing Classic Styles).
Bottled- French Saison (BCS) Bottled March 17.
Belgian Pale with JP dregs Bottled Feb 3.
Dumped- 1.5 gallons Dubbel on orval/JP dregs colonized by fruit flies :(

Quick Reply