Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First brew day tomorrow . . . conflicting info

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #21
ElyIrishBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've got some cranberry vodka on hand. Think that'll impart any cranberry flavor to the beer? Ooops, turns out my wife had some non-flavored, so I just swapped out the water and put in the vodka.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #22
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

I woudn't tend to think so. But it does depend on what the flavoring was made out of. Wouldn't want it to ferment out...

Old 10-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
bscott1011
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Read the directions, re read the directions and if you plan on drinking beer while brewing have a beer or two now and read the directions again. Then hace fun with it, RDWHACB. You will make beer and it WILL be great because it's yours. Welcome to the insanity!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #24
folly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm glad the brew went well ElyIrishBrew. And the Pack took care of business, too!

First we shoot, then we drink!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #25
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

We gots fermentation! In honor of the Pack's victory today, I may name this Turnaround 30-20 Pilsner.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #26
folly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice! It's always great to see those first bubbles! So did you take notes and figure out what you wanted to change?

Oh, and have you read "Learn to Brew" by Palmer? I highly recommend it. It has just enough science to be really interesting and it was my bible of brewing for the first several brews.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #27
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyIrishBrew View Post
...Burntside Lake is the name. So sooner or later I'll develop labels for Burntside Laker Lager or Burntside Lake Trout Stout, Burntside Amberosia Ale, etc.

....I've also got 75 Grolsch and Fischer pint and 24-oz bottles (mostly brown) waiting to be sanitized after the fermentation. It's going to be VERY hard to wait as long after bottling as I know I should before drinking, but I'll just have to console myself in the meantime with all the great craft brews out there for sale. Not to mention we have a local brewpub that's outstanding
Little Long Lake Lager maybe too, ...Hegeman Heffe? We get up there usually once a year for fishing and a couple of nice dinners out.

Wife and I stopped in at The Boathouse for a beer or two one afternoon. Tried their blueberry wheat. It was good. They talked about the brewmaster having made a batch of wild rice beer. The first one was a home run. He tried it a second time and it didn't go as well. He decided to never try it again after that.

The Grolsch and Fischer bottles are great too. I have a couple cases.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #28
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Notes taken, folly! Got a journal/notebook specifically for a beer brewing log. I have not read the Palmer book, but have "Beer Craft" by William Bostwick and Jessi Rymill. It's very good. Also the short book that came with the Brewer's Best kit. And I've bookmarked a couple how-to sites online. Much as I get most of my info online these days, I'm old school enough that I like to spent an hour reading in bed each night. Course, nowadays I'm reading on a Kindle most often!

Hard to get my wort down below 72 because it's in my office, and there's a 75 gallon aquarium with discus fish in my office as well. Acts as an 86 degree radiator. However, I have the wort bubbling just under a window, and this morning I cracked that window to cool things down a bit. I don't think 72 is gonna kill anything, but would like it a few degrees cooler.

It's bubbling about three times per second into my blowoff tube right now.

Dynachrome, I was born in LaCrosse, and spent my summers growing up on the Gparents' dairy farm outside Prairie du Chien. Is your hinterland near there, or somewhere in the north? There are lots of cool lake names up here around Ely. Big Moose, Agassa, McDougal, Ed Shave, Hegman as mentioned. Hey, how about a Hegman Pictograph Pilsner? I've photographed those pictographs many times, and that would be one cool label!

The Boathouse does craft beer up great! We used to hang out there, but it's just too expensive over the long haul to drink their beer. Now we make the occasional visit when we're flush or want to meet clients for beverages/meals.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #29
folly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On your fermentation, you can get a large rectangular plastic container from your favorite home center, you can fill it up with cooler water and put your fermentation bucket in it. Keep the temp of the water in the cooler at 62 and the wort will be 65-67 during fermentation. Take the bucket out after 3 days of active fermentation and let it come up to room temp and it will finish out.

Now honestly, 72 ain't bad. It's a little warm for me now, but I did beer at room temp for several batches and they came out fine. You don't have to do everything on your first brew.

ElyIrishBrew Likes This 

Quick Reply