Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First bottle bomb - in my truck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default First bottle bomb - in my truck

Yesterday I experienced my first bottle explosion ever. I had a six pack that I left in my 85° truck (behind the seat) for a couple hours. Got in, started it up and it blew up pretty loudly. A piece hit me in the back of the head, but no injuries. The bottle was split in half vertically down the middle. My truck now reaks of beer--I can't wait to get pulled over.

Incidentally, this was a commercial brew -- Pyramid's pumpkin ale or some crap. I didn't even want it but a buddy gave me it for free thinking I could at least use the bottles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
JohnA111

Recipes 

I had my first recently too, but they were in a basement at 67F. WTF? Out of 50, 3 grenaded, 1 gushed, and 12 have been undercarbbed. Can't wait to see what the other 34 turn out to be. I am definitely going to be VERY careful opening / handling them. My guess is a failure to properly mix the priming sugar when racked to the bottling bucket?

I guess all commercial breweries have bottle bombs occassionally. Just glass defects I guess.

Bottled: Brown Ale
Bottled: Sweet Stout
Kegged: Sweet Stout II
Kegged: Basil Pale
Kegged: Smoked Ale

Old 05-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought the commercial guys pasturized so that this didn't happen. I think pyramid owes you another bottle of pumpkin ale

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA111 View Post
My guess is a failure to properly mix the priming sugar when racked to the bottling bucket?
yeah I've been wondering that........what is the proper way to mix priming sugar. From what I've seen in vids and read, you just put the sugar in the bucket and run the beer into it. Does anyone stir it up or would that oxidize the beer too much?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodfatherX View Post
yeah I've been wondering that........what is the proper way to mix priming sugar. From what I've seen in vids and read, you just put the sugar in the bucket and run the beer into it. Does anyone stir it up or would that oxidize the beer too much?
What I've always done is boil the priming sugar in 2 cups of water, let cool, and add to my bottling bucket. When I rack, I put the tip of the tubing curled at the bottom of this bottling bucket, so that the beer fills from the bottom and "swirls" around, mixing well. Some use a sanitized long handled spoon to gently stir, but I never have. I've never had a problem, and always have had even carbonation.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA111 View Post
I had my first recently too, but they were in a basement at 67F. WTF? Out of 50, 3 grenaded, 1 gushed, and 12 have been undercarbbed. Can't wait to see what the other 34 turn out to be. I am definitely going to be VERY careful opening / handling them. My guess is a failure to properly mix the priming sugar when racked to the bottling bucket?
Yep. That's what happened. Always use a sanitized spoon to gently stir after you have added your priming sugar so that it is equally dispersed in the beer.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 05-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry to hear that...

Though I am happy to say I haven't suffered a bottle bomb yet. Somehow I've kept things within the boundaries of safety. Although I admit that California Common I made is definitely overcarbed with kreusening...but the gyle technique is definitely better for getting a moderate to high amount of CO2 in bigger beers without risking gushing.

Quick Reply