Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First BJCP competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #31
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
I find the BJCP judging to be highly subjective. I had a tripel rank a 42 in the Best Florida Beer championship and not make it past the first round, and have that same beer given a 34 in a local club comp and medal silver.
I am studying for the BJCP tasting exam and you are exactly right! There are some absolute faults but many of them are very subjective. I had a Scottish 70 that got the second highest overall score in a local score. It went to the Best of Show round and placed 6th overall. I am starting to get to a place that comps are a great ego boost. Any beer over 35 could be a winning beer...just depends on the comp.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #32
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
I find the BJCP judging to be highly subjective.
I think there is some obvious truth to this - individuals have their own preferences, perspectives and levels of expertise.
But, I have been pretty impressed with the consistency in judging I have gotten from one competition to the next - especially in the bigger comps. If I really want some good feedback on particular beers, I make sure I enter the same beers in 3-5 competions over the course of about 4 weeks or so - In that way I am getting the impressions of 6-10 judges and can sort of drop the high, drop the low and look at what the consistent comments are. I have received some great information by doing this, and am always surprised by how consistent some of the recommendations are.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS