Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
bjl110
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default First batch

Just finished bottling my first batch. W00T! Now comes the hard part.

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Welcome to brewing...for Ales, I would strongly recommend 2 weeks in the primary, 1 week conditioning...make sure your fermentation temperatures are in line...and you will have great beer!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I was able to be patient so far. 2 weeks in the primary, 1 in a secondary (so I could fill the primary again), and I'm going to try and make it three weeks before I crack the first one. No promises though I'm lucky on the fermentation temp front, my basement stays about 63-65 even when it's 90 outside.

I already have another brew going and ingredients for two more. I think the brewing bug bit me.

Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl110
Yeah, I was able to be patient so far. 2 weeks in the primary, 1 in a secondary (so I could fill the primary again), and I'm going to try and make it three weeks before I crack the first one. No promises though I'm lucky on the fermentation temp front, my basement stays about 63-65 even when it's 90 outside.

I already have another brew going and ingredients for two more. I think the brewing bug bit me.
I think you should open up a bottle, one per week, so you can see how it changes. Plus you'll want to anyway

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was thinking about that. I couldn't decide if it was a good idea or a justification and a waste of beer.

Btw - is the beer supposed to taste "finished" by the time you bottle it? This one (Irish stout) still tastes pretty off especially compared to my IPA, which tastes like a flat IPA. The taste is ok-ish, but it smells a bit alcoholic and just....off. Not even close to a Guiness or Murphy's.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

No, it will morph and change significantly after a month in the bottles at room temp (which is my personal preference before putting them into the fridge, they just seem to taste better that way-except wits and IPAs which get 3 weeks before the fridge). Stouts especially I find benefit from a little extra aging because of the roasted malts. Don't rush your beer. You will be significantly rewarded for your patience. Btw, what was your recipe?

Carboy 3: Chianti
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: 1 Gallon of Wild Yeast Culture!
Keg 1: Kate the Great Clone (left tap)
Keg 2: Bourbon Imperial Stout (right tap)
Keg 3: Air
Keg 4: Air
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine

In the Works: IPA

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Don't have it in front of me, and I'm on my phone so linking is a pain, but it was the Midwest Irish Stout kit. I used the Irish ale wyeast option. I'll probably be brewing several stouts as they are a favorite around here (and swmbo approval is clutch ), so I figured I'd just wash it and use it in the next several batches. I'd also like to get experience making starters anyway as BDSA is my favorite style (and one of my first major goals to brew).

Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I also say go ahead and sample your brew early. I like to wait 2 weeks, throw one in the fridge for 2 days and give it a shot then weekly after that.

For me, it's like watching your kids grow up. At 2 weeks they are young and raw but you can get a good feel for who they will be, at 3 they are more mature but still lack the expierence of age, at 4 they are grown and ready to go out into the world. Come to think of it, sampling maybe be my favorite part of the whole proccess.

If your worried about beer loss consider bottling some 7oz ponies specificly for testers.

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl110 View Post
Btw - is the beer supposed to taste "finished" by the time you bottle it? This one (Irish stout) still tastes pretty off especially compared to my IPA, which tastes like a flat IPA. The taste is ok-ish, but it smells a bit alcoholic and just....off. Not even close to a Guiness or Murphy's.
No worries...stouts and porters are notorious for smelling "wrong" before they're mature. Many a-brewer has fretted over an off smelling stout or porter, as they keg or bottle, only to find a wonderfully aromatic and tasty beverage weeks later.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
nos33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my irish stout i brewed didnt really taste like a stout until about month 4. and now at month 7 they are fantastic.

Quick Reply