Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First attemp at yeast harvesting /washing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default First attemp at yeast harvesting /washing

Ok to yesterday I transferred my brew to the secondary and decided to try to harvest the yest to reuse it next week so i boiled a gallon of water,sterilized everything that came or may come in contact with my project and after cooling the water i added it to my carboy. I swirled it and poured the concoction into a one gallon jug and covered it with a sanitized plastic held by rubberbands (I wasn't to sure if putting a cap wold wake me up to a bottle bomb lol yes i am afraid of those messes lol) I left it on my counter over night and woke up to this

forumrunner_20121111_072827.png

Now to the questions ; i think I'm suppose to pour it into another container and try to save the lightest of the settlements and discard the water on top and settlements below but my concern is for how long can i have this on my counter without harming the yeast and after I'm able to harvest the yeast for how long could i keep it in my refrigerator before it goes bad?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Pretty simple eh?

There is a sticky in the yeast section about this but my unresourced answer would be

On the counter - depends if it's covered. Wet paper towel or a lid- one day
In the fridge- up to four to six months depending on the strain. I used an Irish red ale yeast that was a year old and it sunk straight to the bottom, dead.

....just add water.....

Old 11-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiditynerd
Pretty simple eh?

There is a sticky in the yeast section about this but my unresourced answer would be

On the counter - depends if it's covered. Wet paper towel or a lid- one day
In the fridge- up to four to six months depending on the strain. I used an Irish red ale yeast that was a year old and it sunk straight to the bottom, dead.
Edit- with the cover you have you pretty much made a starter without the DME

....just add water.....

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well right now its covered on my counter but i don't know if i have a time frame in which I'm suppose to place it in the fridge. I will like to let it settle more but if me leaving it outside (on the counter covered with the plastic held by rubberbands) is just going to kill the yeast then i will place it in the fridge now to avoid that.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Edit- with the cover you have you pretty much made a starter without the DME[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this quote... isn't a starter without DME just the yeast?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Jbt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The trub already separated see the separation in the sediment. The bottom layer is the trub and yeast is on the top. Also I put it right in the fridge it will separate quick at the lower temp. I would give it a good swirl and get everything in suspension then wait about 20 min till you see the layer of trub settle to the bottom. Then slowly pour off the yeast liquid off the trub. Now you have a mostly yeast a liquid mixture to either wash a little further for storage or settle and decant to create a slurry for your next batch.

I don't use 1gal jugs it is difficult to pour of the trub. I actually use a big glass pitcher and starsaned press and seal to keep anything out during separating.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Yup, sorry, sarcasm never works in text. I was just thinking about the gallon of water you added. I usually just let the last pint of beer from the carboy settle out in a mason jar in the fridge before I pour it off.

So if you were making the same style next time it seems like you have a started.

Sorry for the sarcasm

....just add water.....

Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

[QUOTE="Jbt"]The trub already separated see the separation in the sediment. The bottom layer is the trub and yeast is on the top. Also I put it right in the fridge it will separate quick at the lower temp. I would give it a good swirl and get everything in suspension then wait about 20 min till you see the layer of trub settle to the bottom. Then slowly pour off the yeast liquid off the trub. Now you have a mostly yeast a liquid mixture to either wash a little further for storage or settle and decant to create a slurry for your next batch.

I don't use 1gal jugs it is difficult to pour of the trub. I actually use a big glass pitcher and starsaned press and seal to keep anything out during

So it seems as if i haven't ruined it just yet ...I will swirl it right now and do as you advise ...Thanks

Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiditynerd
Yup, sorry, sarcasm never works in text. I was just thinking about the gallon of water you added. I usually just let the last pint of beer from the carboy settle out in a mason jar in the fridge before I pour it off.

So if you were making the same style next time it seems like you have a started.

Sorry for the sarcasm
Lol yeah i think a gallon was to much too.. next one i will just use two quarts and mason jars

Quick Reply