Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First American Amber, a few off things....
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
cutchemist42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 148
Likes Given: 8

Default First American Amber, a few off things....

-I've read the head should be off-white but mine is pretty white.

-Body feels lighter then medium body compared to a commercial amber I have on hand.

Recipe malts/grains were:

3.2 kg LME
1.1 kg Crystal Malt 45
.6 kg Carapils

What produces a more off-white head and would more carapils help with the body? The grains were steeped around 60-65 degrees Celcius for about 30 minutes before adding the LME.

Thanks for the help!

__________________
cutchemist42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
cutchemist42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 148
Likes Given: 8

Default

Other then, the colour looks great, the beer looks clear, and the beer tastes good. Maybe a smidge bit too malty compared to what I like but one of my faves in my short career of brewing.

__________________
cutchemist42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
BrewingRugger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 113
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

If it's a good beer let it be!!!

__________________
BrewingRugger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 4,095
Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
would more carapils help with the body? .
no. all crystal malt adds to the body, not just carapils, and you already have too much in there. if the body is still lacking to you, id try a lower attenuating yeast, flaked oats/barley, or malto-dextrine
__________________
dcp27 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
cutchemist42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 148
Likes Given: 8

Default

Ok, now while I like the taste, its also a little astringent. I felt like I wasn't steeping them for a long time and felt I kept good control of the temp. Was I wrong in pulling out the grain bag and letting the liquid drain off the bag or should I have squeezed the bag?

__________________
cutchemist42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
3sheetsEMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 196
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42
-I've read the head should be off-white but mine is pretty white.

-Body feels lighter then medium body compared to a commercial amber I have on hand.

Recipe malts/grains were:

3.2 kg LME
1.1 kg Crystal Malt 45
.6 kg Carapils

What produces a more off-white head and would more carapils help with the body? The grains were steeped around 60-65 degrees Celcius for about 30 minutes before adding the LME.

Thanks for the help!
Some questions:

What is your steeping temp and for how long?
What type of LME?
What type of yeast are you using?
Fermentation time and temp?
Are u bottling or kegging?
__________________
3sheetsEMJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
3sheetsEMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 196
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Sorry i see u already answered my first question...

__________________
3sheetsEMJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
cutchemist42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 148
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
Some questions:

What is your steeping temp and for how long?
What type of LME?
What type of yeast are you using?
Fermentation time and temp?
Are u bottling or kegging?
-I remember steeping and keeping the temp at around 60-65 degrees Celcius for about 30 minutes. I then let the grain bag drip until noting was dripping off the bag anymore.

-The LME was just whatever my local beer store supplies. No brand name is attached to it.

-Safale American and Wyeast American Ale. I don't remember the date on the Wyeast package but the brew supply store gave me a discount because of the date. It is also why I picked up the extra Safale American.

-Open primary for 5 days with skimming the krausen to avoid bitter stuff falling back in at 18 degrees C. Secondary for 23 days at same temp. I realized I racked too early seeing that lots of yeast still settled to the bottom of my secondary. Also dry hopped in the secondary.

-Force carbonation kegging. Last night is when I racked to my keg and I tried my first taste 2 hours after kegging.
__________________
cutchemist42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,930
Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
-I remember steeping and keeping the temp at around 60-65 degrees Celcius for about 30 minutes. I then let the grain bag drip until noting was dripping off the bag anymore.

-The LME was just whatever my local beer store supplies. No brand name is attached to it.

-Safale American and Wyeast American Ale. I don't remember the date on the Wyeast package but the brew supply store gave me a discount because of the date. It is also why I picked up the extra Safale American.

-Open primary for 5 days with skimming the krausen to avoid bitter stuff falling back in at 18 degrees C. Secondary for 23 days at same temp. I realized I racked too early seeing that lots of yeast still settled to the bottom of my secondary. Also dry hopped in the secondary.

-Force carbonation kegging. Last night is when I racked to my keg and I tried my first taste 2 hours after kegging.
Try steeping a bit of flaked wheat in with your grains, if body and head retention are lacking. I don't skim krausen, and I don't use an open primary, so I have no advice about that at all.

You already have too much crystal malt in the recipe, with nearly 30% crystal malt (if my quick math is right) so I would add less, not more!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 4,095
Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Last night is when I racked to my keg and I tried my first taste 2 hours after kegging.
I wouldnt be judging the body quite yet if it just started carbing
__________________
dcp27 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what point to keg American amber phish2160 General Beer Discussion 3 12-09-2011 04:34 AM
Amber ale with actual amber Nanannan General Beer Discussion 18 09-22-2011 03:22 PM
American Amber conversion to all grain from extract nrock74 General Beer Discussion 5 08-07-2011 01:47 PM
Rogue American Amber Ale hoppedup General Beer Discussion 3 07-14-2010 11:36 PM
Rogue American Amber tastes yeasty... IanIanBoBian General Beer Discussion 1 01-14-2009 04:09 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS