Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First AG with new pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Feel free to modify the BIAB process to match your equipment.
For example, you can heat 6-7 gallons to strike temp for the mash and top off for the boil after the mash. In my fist couple BIAB batches I am only loosing .5-.75 gallons of water to grain absorption w/ 10-12 lb grain bill. If you don't squeeze the bag, then you will lose more water.

Also it is much easier to top off before the boil then it is boil off an extra gallon or 2 of water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123 View Post
I have a biology degree and have taught all levels of high school biology. Fermentation was merely a process after glycolysis (Poor wee-beasties, they gotta get their NAD+ back somehow) until I got into brewing. Now it's so much more interesting.
Not to get too off topic or anything, but I credit my high school biology teacher with getting me into science. He made all the topics so accessible and relatable.

Glad brew day went well. As RM-MN said, the low efficiency probably had to do with your crush. Back to your original question...were you able to hold a steady mash temp and where did you brew?

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #13
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I had read that since there's no concern of a stuck mash, I could crush the grains finer. But alas, I don't have a grinder. Just another upgrade that I haven't gotten to yet. I have to rely on the online vendor (brewmaster's warehouse) to grind for me. Next time I'll ask if they could run it through a second time. My LBS went south this year. The stainless brew pot and wort chiller made it past my financial advisor pretty much unnoticed. I just can't start upgrading too quickly. These things take time. Now a keezer, well that seed was planted, all in good time.

I forgot to check my pre-boil OG to see where I stood, but then as a rookie, I doubt I would have known if the number was too high or low based on the amount of wort I had.

It was a blustery 30 degrees or below in the garage with the doors open. I got the strike water up to 160F before adding grains. The grains dropped it down to the low 150's. I then used a old comforter over the pot. Even then, every 15 minutes or so, I had to stir and crank the burner. I fluxed between 150 and 154 most of the time. I hope this is easier in more moderate weather.
I didn't have to worry about the wort chiller working, my well water is a steady 50F. As it left the chiller, it froze on the driveway.

One thing that seems to be up for debate is the bag on the bottom of the pot. Some say that using a colander to keep the bag off the bottom is a waste. Some claim that you'll never get the bottom of a three ply pot hot enough to melt the bag. Others claim they have melted the bag. I let the bag hang loose and it did not stick or melt (luckly).

Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 240

i use a grain mill like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Qualit...rds=grain+mill) and it works well for BIAB. I set it for as fine a grind as I can and since I have the bag to filter I don't have to worry about getting the wort out.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, she's already bubbling away.

I was checking out the "barley crusher". EdWort likes his which is good enough for me, and it comes all set to sit on a 5 gallon pail and attach to your power drill.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #16
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Just wanted to say Cheers! I love all grain brewing. There is something magical about making beer with grains.

Quick Reply