Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First AG--Kolsch: Need Mash Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default First AG--Kolsch: Need Mash Advice

Am picking up my AG equipment tomorrow and a NB Kolsch kit will be my first AG batch. Grain bill is 9 lbs German Pils and 1 lb Weyermann Pale Wheat. I'm using a 10g Rubbermaid cooler to mash.

The NB instructions say the "traditional multi-step" mash schedule (temp/mins) is protein rest (122/20), beta sacch rest (149/30), alpha sacch rest (158/30), and mashout (170/10). The single infusion alternative is sacch rest (151/60) and mashout (170/10).

My first thought was to do the multi-step mash with boiling water additions. The calculator I used said even if I started my mash at a very thick 1qt/lb, by the time I mashout I would be 25 quarts (2.5q/lb). That seems pretty thin and I would be concerned that once I sparge, I would have to boil for the rest of my life to get it down to 5 gallons and change. Although I guess I could expect to have about 1.5 to 2 gallons absorbed. Still, if I sparge at 0.5 gallons per pound, that's 5 gallons of sparge water plus around six gallons in the mash is 11 less two absorbed is still at least 9 which is a bit much to get down to my target boil volume.

The single-infusion mash seems like a good alternative, especially since during my first AG it will probably feel like things are happening at the speed of light. But I am concerned that my beer quality will be compromised if I don't do the proper rests.

Decoction mashing seems like the best way to keep a reasonable volume to boil while hitting all the proper rests.

Advice?

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would do a single infusion at 148. Or if you're feeling adventurous a decoction, although I don't think it's necessary.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think I will try the decoction and have boiling water handy in case I miss the temps. That should help me achieve the best possible beer while keeping my mash from getting too thin.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 05-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

my kolsch is a single infusion mash around 150. my wife's cousin lives in germany right now and she's said its not a bad kolsch. i don't use any pils though (really cheap recipe)

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Mateo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hunt quail with a 10ga. and I brew my Koelsch with a triple decoction.

I use a pretty close schedule to Kaiser's triple decoction and use the following recipe:

8lbs Weyermanns Pilsner
.5lbs Carafoam
.5bs Weyermanns Pale Wheat

Hallertau for bittering and Tet. for flavor.

I think the Triple decoction imparts a perceptible flavor into this delicate beer.

m.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You can still make a good Kolsch with a single temp mash.

That being said, my preference is a step mash that is identical to the one suggested. As Mateo says, in a delicate style like this, changes in the mash schedule can make a difference in the final product. For beers with a lot of strong flavors going on the difference will be smaller.

For a first AG beer though I might lean towards a single temp, you can always brew it again later with a step mash when you are more comfortable with your set up. Then again, you could just go for it.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply